Sign in to follow this  

If I were a 6-speed

If I had a six speed – na na na na na na.

What ratios would I want.

After a 4 hour ride which included 24 miles freeway an another 6 miles rural highway with speeds from 80 to 55 mph, until I took off-road. The ride was very rough – desert mountains up to the Water Mine and exploring some of the numerous roads radiating out from the main road. Major clutch slipping. If this were a true dual-purpose bike Suzuki should have put in a 6 speed.

Well gentile readers – what ratios would I want in my new 6-speed???

A granny gear low for the tight stuff. A higher 6th than the present 5th and leave the other 4 speeds where they are. Might hurt acceleration a little but I want a dual-purpose bike not a MX bike.

Personally I would be happy if they had used longer 4 and 5th gears so i could still ride 75mph with the 14/47 E gears, that way we would have good dirt 1/2/3 and 4/5 would be good for street.

I like the current ratios as they are with the exception of 5th gear. 5th could

stand to be a bit taller... :naughty:

Another for a taller 4 and 5th leaving the first 3 alone. That is of course if I cant have the 6th taller gear.

No way...5th os already too tall to do less the 45 MPH. An even bigger overdrive for 6th gear would be perfect.

Do you guys remember Suzuki's DR-350 not the S but the dirt model it had one of the sweetest 6 speeds in it I ever rode. My best friend Keith Shumake known as Shu's son had one that I rode frequently. It was way down on power compared to the monster motor I had but would eat that thing alive on top because as usual I was geared for the mountains plus it had 6 gears in it. Now if they could do this back in the 90's with a 4 stroke why can't they do it now. It was even a kicker. Lord sometimes I wonder about the Japanese, and we are loyal customesrs too. Oh well I'm still not going to a 3 oil filter KTM so I can have it sitting around for months waiting for some part. prairiedawg :naughty::naughty::D:D

Do you guys remember Suzuki's DR-350 not the S but the dirt model it had one of the sweetest 6 speeds in it I ever rode. My best friend Keith Shumake known as Shu's son had one that I rode frequently. It was way down on power compared to the monster motor I had but would eat that thing alive on top because as usual I was geared for the mountains plus it had 6 gears in it. Now if they could do this back in the 90's with a 4 stroke why can't they do it now. It was even a kicker. Lord sometimes I wonder about the Japanese, and we are loyal customesrs too. Oh well I'm still not going to a 3 oil filter KTM so I can have it sitting around for months waiting for some part. prairiedawg :D:naughty::naughty::D
I don't know the new exc's are nice my Brother has one for a year and a half without a single issue. Very nice bike but it still has downfalls i.e. suspension mostly, the motor is a little snappy down low for tight trails otherwise the gear box is awesome I would love to have that ratio on my drz. Oh and its 2 filters :D

Doesn't the gas gas have a 6 speed and a similar motor to the drz? Maybe a 6th gear could be added :cry:

I would be very suprised if no one had done this. To a good machineist, everything is possible. In the end its just metal parts... :naughty:

That was my lame attempt to get one of you to do that...

I think you found the biggest shortcomming of this bike. A much wider gearbox would sure make it a better bike. And it has the power and torque to pull it. :naughty:

I've got to go with a wider 4th and 5th. I tend to use 2nd - 4th off road but the engine has such a wide power spread you could easily space out the top gears a bit. Last year I managed to lose the gear lever on a fallen tree and was able to carry on for the rest of the day no problem at all. Fortunately the bike was in 3rd when it happened but the bike was well able to start and handle a bit of technical climbing with a bit of clutch use, and coped on the faster stuff too. I don't think the loss of 4 gears slowed me down at all. Try doing that with a 2 smoke.