MI plate specifics

Wolf,

just what LED's did you use? Can you find a pic of them new online some where? I think I saw some similar to your's at best buy but I'm not sure. I picked up a couple LED's today that go into your headlights, but come to find out the little black box that hooks them up for running them constantly or for an alarm, is also a reducer. I tried to hook one up to the truck battery directly to see how it would do and I fried the thing. :D A little bit of testing later, I found that there is only about 10-10.5V going to the LED's on a 12V system. That brings me to my next question. Did you wire up your LED's directly or did you have to use some sort voltage reducer in the line? :naughty::naughty:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LED's can't run withthe polarity backwards. I also found this out the hard way when I fried the original light I had for my speedometer, oops. It should have a description on the package as to the polarity or red and black markings on the wires for positive and negative. :naughty:

Most likely that small led didn't have a silicone rectifier that would prevent frying it. If it did it just wouldn't light up untill you reversed the wires. The rectifier would also let you run it off the ac power. My tail light has rectifiers for the run and stop circuitry so I wired it to run in ac or dc to save my battery power.