What is the best way to do water, rocks, dirt, and sand

I suck on sand, I am scraped on rocks, and somewhat misjudge some water. I just need advice from a person who has been around the berm before :naughty: . I ride a TT-R 125LWE :naughty: . Please tell me the best tactics for every thing Dirt offroad related to motor cycles.

hmmm don't really get the question.. but practice standing more, you have much more control of the bike if your standing then sitting

Water: First thing you need to do is check out how deep it is before you go into it. You need to know you're terrain. Pickup a small rock near you and toss it into the water. If you can't tell how deep it is by throwing a rock in it, just stick your hand in the water. Once you see how deep it is try going over it. Standup and prepare to get wet. Don't freak out when you get wet or you'll end up falling or dropping your bike somehow. You're probally going to have to accelrate while going over it. Just make sure that you're in first gear and just work your bike through it.

Rocks: When you go through rocks it's going to be bumpy. I sometimes stand up because it's pretty bumpy but don't go too fast or you might loose control.

Dirt: Dirt is pretty simple. If the dirts wet, you could get stuck in it. When it's wet dont accelrate sharply or you'll just dig your self into it. So you just need to accelrate slowly through it. If the dirt's dry just go through it like grass.

Sand: I haven't been through sand before, but im sure its just like dry dirt.

Be aware if there are big bumps ahead of you. You need to stand up. If you don't stand up your bike will bump back at you, and could hurt your back pretty bad. Go through trails and practice standing up. Also go through all the different terrain that you ride on and try things so that you can see how your bike reacts, and so that your prepared when something happens.

Just stick it in 3rd, pin it, and see what happens. Thats how i check all my terrain. HAHA!!!!

Keep the speed up and your weight back. You have to keep the front tire floating.

If you want to slow down, do it SLOWLY. Chopping the throttle will bury the front tire, and if you're lucky, the bike will only try to swap ends. If you're not lucky, you'll go over the bars.

Sandy washes are a breeze at 35mph, and back-breaking work at 25mph.

My buddy describes it like a boat. When you're going slow, it's hard to control and feels like mush. Once you get up on a plane, it's like glass and super repsonsive. Just as you're about the break onto the plane, you feel like you're going to eat it big time.

The most important thing to do when riding offroad is to pick your line before you get into the mess.

People have said that you need to keep your head up and look down the trail. What you are looking for is the "smooth line" through the rocks, or the "best rut" in the sand, or the "shalllowest way" across the water.

The reason these are in quotes is because depending on your skill level these vary. Practice will change the way you pick your lines, but you have to look where you are going, and you have to be able to put the bike there.

The focus that it takes to play close attention for a long time( 2 hour hare scrambles, etc.) is the difference between winning and showing up.

Just my opinion.

In sand , sit way back in the seat you want all your weight on the rear wheel and kep the front end light.

Same with mud. Never accelerate hard, like another person said. Lucky you got a TTR, that would be hard with a 2 stroke.

WIth water, you gotta be REALLLY light and ready for a hit (rock or rut), dont go to fast but keep momentum.

Dirt: Balance the motorsickle and turn the right handlegrip. Go faster.

Soft sand is the killer... keep on the gas and ride the back tire not the front.

Water, keep the RPM's up so if you start to sink deep you can get on the gas and out of the hole with out stalling.

ALso what might help, read all the posts on thumpertalk, i've learned soo much. Thanks everyone.

SAND IS THE BEST! FIRST GET OFF THE SEAT. THE BIKE WILL FEEL SQUIRLY BUT THAT IS OK, AS LONG AS THE FROM END DOESN'T PUSH/PLOW THE SAND YOU ARE STILL IN GOOD SHAPE. pUT IT IN A LOW GEAR, 1ST OR SECOND AND LE TEH ENGINE REV. iT DOESN'T TAKE MUCH TO STALL THE BIKE INTEH SAND. THEN JUST LE IT RIP. THE ONLY WAT TO GET BETTER IN TEH SAND IS TO RIDE IT, RIDE IT RIDE IT!!!

ps.. sand is NOT soft....

Sand.. easily my worst enemy. Ive been riding for 2 months now, and my parents and adults ive ridden with have always told me to speed up, and sit back. the sitting back puts more weight onto the back tire (more traction), and less on the front. This gets the front tire up on the sand, much like a ski.

I only realized it worked this weekend. Everytime i hit sand, i shifted up into 4th, sped up, and i got absolutely no wobble out of my front tire. I even found that if you go fast enough, i could stand up without the wobble. Main thing is: Speed Up. its like hell fighting through sand in low 3rd, 2nd gear.

WATER: FIRST FIND OUT HOW DEEP THEN GO THROUGH SLOW IF SHALOW IF DEEP GAS IT

DIRT: (MY FAVORITE) JUST GO AT A PACE OR SPEED THAT IS GOOD FOR YOU IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER GO SLOW THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH GOING SLOW AND DO NOT TRY TO BE LIKE ALL THE HOT SHOTS OUT THERE.

SAND: (MY SPECIALTY) FIRST IF YOU ARE IN THE SAND SIT TOWARDS THE BACK OF YOUR BIKE TILL YOU ARE ALMOST SITTING ON THE FENDER THIS MAY SEEM WEIRD BUT IT DOES HELP. SECOND IF YOU ARE RIDING IN JUST SAND LIKE AT DUNES OR SOMETHING AND THERE IS NO HARD DIRT THEN LOWER YOUR TIRE PRESSURE A FEW POUNDS FOR BETTER TRACTION TRUST ME IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. THIRD DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TURN HARD OR QUICK YOU MUST MAKE SHORT WIDER TURNS THEN NORMAL. AND FINNALY WHEN YOU ARE TURNING YOU CAN NEVER GAS TOO EARLY SO IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE A TURN GAS IT LIKE THERE WAS NO TOMORROW AND THEN ONCE YOU COMPLETE YOUR TURN YOU CAN LET OFF THE GAS A BIT. :naughty:

Rocks: Stand up, look ahead, pick smart lines, and when you can use one rock to jump over other obstacles.

Water: If you are crossing flowing water don't look at the water, it will disoriente you, look across the stream etc, to the other bank.

Sand: Keep your speed up, brake way earlier then you think you should and get on the gas sooner so that you can drive through the corner rather than plowing through it if you coast.

Dude... please... that hurts my eyes:

capslock.gif

Thanks.. I really appreciate the help

Rocks: When you go through rocks it's going to be bumpy.

Dude, you made me laugh. :naughty:

Not so technical. :naughty:

lmao, i cant even beleive I said that.. must have been :naughty:

Its like saying Sand will be sandy, and that hard packed dirt will be hardly packed.

Its like the complete opposite. If your going slow, you dont have much control of your bike in the sand. You have to haul ass and stand up to get through it. And keep the front end light by adjusting your weight towards the back of the dirtbike.