Sign in to follow this  

spokes getting loose ???

well, i have a 04crf250r, and i cannot seem to keep the rear spokes tight :naughty: i adjust them after each ride, and after 80 hours now, they seem to still get loose. is there a specific way to tighten them up? why is this happening? thanks !!!

Those little bastards are always getting loose on me as well, some people say to tighten every 3rd one all the way around, and they will stay tight. Tried it and it didn't work though. :naughty:

aluminum spoke nipples are the culprit, the damn things seem to stretch more than good old fashioned steel. you have to check them after every ride :naughty:

is checking spokes all that hard...? i mean really, u just tap them and tighten a couple and ure done

is checking spokes all that hard...? i mean really, u just tap them and tighten a couple and ure done

In is imparative that you tighten the spokes evenly all the way around so the wheel stays true. Since the CRFs seem to need constant spoke maintenance I am really looking at one of those spoke torque wrenches. But they are some damn expensive! :naughty:

CR aluminum nipples loosen and need to be tightened when the bike is new. After a while, they seem to take a "set" and don't loosen as much.

The spoke torque wrench seems like overkill to me. I think it's more important to have your wheel true than to have all the nipples torque'd to the same setting. I mean, of course it would be awesome to have both, but what will you do if they are all torque'd the same and the wheel is not true?