Saving gas, not money

I bought my '05 DRZ-S to save gas and money on my 80 mile per day (40 miles each way) commute to work. I may be saving gas, but I'm not saving any money.

So far:

DRZ-400S - $5600 (Tax, title and 2 helmets included)

Kouba links - $75

3X3 hole - Free! (need more like this)

DJ kit, jets and Keintech screw - $85

14 Tooth front sprocket - $20

Service Manual - $60

MSR Handlebars (RM HI/SL) - $35

Polisport Handgaurds - $30

Tire Irons - $20

Avon Roadrunner 21" and SuperVenom 18" - $200 (should be here this week)

(Poor Man's SM)

Black Side Panels TT Store - $55 (should be here this week)

Black Krylon paint for headlight shroud - $4

Oil Changes (2) - $25 ea.

I don't want to know how many years worth of gas that would be in my Jeep, and truthfully, I don't care! I'm having a blast! I should make enough in overtime to afford a SM conversion from ECW this summer, but have decided to by HP instead. Big bore kit, Hot Cam In, E-Cam Out, port and polish, full Muzzy.....all of this for the price of the 17" wheels (with sprockets, brakes, fender, etc.). I'm going for the POWER! Aghh, Aghh, Aghh. I'll get wheels next year. Corbin next pay day, Clarke 3.9 paycheck after that......it never ends. Thanks for all the knowledge I've gained from this site. The Jeep is collecting dust.

One thing I've always mentioned to people is don't think you are going to save money on a bike over a car. Even without all the goodies you've bought, bikes require more maintenance over a standard car which equals more $$$. Sad fact but its true.

I know the feeling but I am saving money. 5 days after buying my bike my wife quit work. So we went from 3K a month to just about 1200 a month. now I am riding the bike out of "nessesity". :naughty: But even when you factor in the payment on the bike and insurance I still MAKE $20 a month having the bike. I have an 80-90 mile round trip commute too. What a selling point for the better half. "I can't sell the bike now sweety, it is actually helping to make the bills."

Feel free to use this example as needed. :naughty:

In my case I am definately saving money, I get 45 mpg on the bike. I get 12 in my modded Cummins and none in my 620 rwhp Cobra...so like I tell the wife It more than pays for itself...lol, she shakes her head but I know she believes me. I am a professional justifier! :naughty: BTW if she asks why you don't just ride your mountain bike to save money, tell her its windy. :naughty:

My 01E got me through a very rough period of my life. I've now accepted I'm disabled. The SM has brought my fire back in the gut for living. I can't put a price tag on that. Bikes have always been a huge part of my life even if they are what ends my life I'd die doing something I loved. I'd rather do that than sit in the easy chair waiting for the grim reaper which is just what I was doing. Burned did more than give me a good deal, he saved my life. prairiedawg :naughty::naughty::D:D

Dont forget that some of us can only use these things for about 5 months outta the year before the snow hits hard... so ya obviously cant just have one vehicle. And the second one is usually a 4x4. So when you average my gas out it still sux. 15mpg truck, 50 mpg DRZ still equals shitty... and i payed for two vehciles and registering, and insureance, and, and and ... blah blah blah... Still so much fun :naughty: Can you really put a price on an ear to ear grin though?

haha

I've commuted about 300,000 miles on many bikes over the last 30 years. My wife figured out pretty fast that bikes don't save money in the long run. Of course, she has horses, which are really useless money pits.

I've commuted about 300,000 miles on many bikes over the last 30 years. My wife figured out pretty fast that bikes don't save money in the long run. Of course, she has horses, which are really useless money pits.

:naughty::D:naughty::D:D:D?

That is the funniest thing I have ever read on TT. True but funny none the less.

In my case, I can use my bike anytime the road isn't snow covered (depending on how much) or frozen. So about 350 days out of the year is good to go. I have a snowmobile suit that I wear most of the time with layers underneither as needed. But I have two jeeps (neither titled) and an 85 toyota PU as my other vehicles. I get about 70-75 mpg, I ride very easy.

The horses aren't totally useless. I mean, if she starts giving me that look when I'm babbling on about something I really need for one of my bikes, I just stare out the back window at four 1000 pound hay burners milling around in our back yard...