Warning Connecticut riders...

Stay out and far away from riding in North Haven also known as "the game" "defco" etc. Word has it from reliable sources that the dep and north haven police were out in full force over the weekend and will be all this week and next. Just over this weekend I know people that were nabbed by the dep there and had $300 fines! The dep is using a very sissy-like strategy by going out on quads, laying them over and playing hurt. A rider will come over trying to be a good person and the dep then nails the person. I use to ride there all the time and never had a problem. Unfortunately another great riding spot is lost... what else is new? :naughty:

Wow!

That's pretty remarkable!

I just heard the SAME story last weekend in the north Jersey woods.

Girl on broken down quad (actually a state ranger) needs help. Riders stop to assist, and get ambushed.

I personally nver heard this before last Sunday. But when my friend said he heard this about 5 years ago, I just laughed.

BTW......40 mile loop on Sunday, and not a ranger in sight! :naughty:

So now riders will treat eachother like total jerks and we will look like &%$#@! once again. I hate this state and all this crap. No places to ride, registration for the one legal spot we have (thomaston), taxes, bullcrap game wardens who are jerks playing sissy in the woods. Don't they have anything better to do? Or do they get off to playing possum in the woods and busting people who aren't hurting anyone.

So now riders will treat eachother like total jerks and we will look like &%$#@! once again. I hate this state and all this crap. No places to ride, registration for the one legal spot we have (thomaston), taxes, bullcrap game wardens who are jerks playing sissy in the woods. Don't they have anything better to do? Or do they get off to playing possum in the woods and busting people who aren't hurting anyone.

I feel exactly the same man :naughty: . I am so sick of this state, not only with riding issues, expensive taxes, I hate our education system here, roadways in connecticut are HORRIBLE, houses taking over land day after day, exactly why i WILL be moving down south or out west. And for those who say "well why not register your bikes and you will have a chance"...... our money DOESNT go to the cause, the government takes that money and puts it to other use, like building the ex governers cottage probably. Connecticut blows

Don't feel bad...its getting that way all over. Here in N.H., we have to pay $47 a year to register an ATV EVEN TO RIDE ON PRIVATE PROPERTY. On top of that, there are only 3 or 4 small places in the state where you can legally ride. If you ride on private property, you MUST be registered, and you must have WRITTEN permission from all landowner's who's peoperty you ride on. You also have to carry that information ON YOU while you ride. So if you want to take a long trail ride, you would need to carry a small filing cabinet with you!

Funny thing is, it even applies to vehicles registered for street use already! We had a battle several years ago about taking 4x4 vehicles (such as Jeeps) on trails that are privately owned. Even though we usually had verbal permission already, we were told by the Fish & Game that we needed written permission even for Jeeps! If I take my stepson over to his grandparent's property to ride, by law we are supposed to get written permission first. Is that nuts or what??? Many people who don't hesitate to give verbal permission refuse to put it in writing, thinking that it puts more liability on them.

My wife and I have seriously thought about moving out west so we can enjoy our Jeeps and have land to ride bikes and quads on.

Jim

I own a house in new hampshire now and it seems like riding heaven. At least there it seems useable and i saw a netra turkey run like a mile from my house so i know theres riding. Maybe im wrong for drooling over what it might be like to take my bike with me? Oh yeah, i don't remember where i found it but i have to take some stupid safety course to ride trails there because im a minor correct?>

If you don't have a driver's licemse, you need the safety course. Here is the state's web site telling the laws. I hope you have a couple hours on your hands to read all the laws!

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/indexes/215-A.html

And pay particular attention to this section:

"XI. No person shall operate an OHRV on the property of another unless such operator has obtained written permission from the landowner except as follows:

(a) Verbal permission given to an OHRV club or to the chief of the bureau of trails shall be adequate for operating a snow traveling vehicle on trails established by organized OHRV clubs or on trails designated as snow traveling vehicle trails by the chief of the bureau of trails. A list and description of such designated snow traveling vehicle trails shall be maintained by the chief of the bureau of trails, and such list shall be available to the public upon request. Individuals operating snow traveling vehicles on such trails shall not be required to obtain specific landowner permission.

(:naughty: Verbal permission given to an OHRV club or to the chief of the bureau of trails shall be adequate for operating a wheeled OHRV on trails established by organized OHRV clubs or on trails designated by the chief of the bureau of trails as wheeled OHRV trails. A list and description of such wheeled OHRV trails shall be maintained by the chief of the bureau of trails and shall be available to the public upon request. Individuals operating wheeled OHRVs on such trails shall not be required to obtain specific landowner permission.

© Individuals operating OHRVs on trails designated under subparagraph (a) or (:naughty: shall operate solely on trails as permitted by the landowner. Any individual who operates an OHRV off the trail shall obtain written landowner permission."

What that means, in short, is that unless you are riding in a special area where an ATV club has established a trail system, you need written permission from landowners of the property. And remember, in N.H., even power line trails, old railbeds, etc. are considered private property. I have friends who have had trucks impounded and paid big fines for going four wheeling on power line trails and other places where they used to be allowed. Turkey Runs and similar events would fall under the catagory of "verbal permission for a club". But if you rode on the same trails by your self or with friends, you would be breaking the law. Dumb? You bet.

Jim

I live on Long Island where there is no legal riding available. Riders tend to go out East where there is open land and they take their chances with the Police. A recent warning from quad riders was very similar. A ranger fakes an accident and waits for assistance. When the good samaritan pulls over to help the downed rider the Rangers quickly put a Zip Tie on your clutch and you are bagged. Fines in excess of $500. Taxpayer dollars hard at work.

I bought a dualsport Suzuki just so I can now ride legally on the road.

Unfortunately the Enviro-po-po's have been using the same tactics here in mass and have been out in full force the past few weekends. What a joke. We have nowhere to ride anyways so they leave us little choice here. Where I live, they shut down Miles Standish State Forest to dirt bikers years ago where it used to be legal. All i have to say is, i got plenty of money to buy more bikes, pay tickets you name it so im going to keep riding and laughing it up until the state allocates some good riding ground, not some rock garden that is a pain in the A to get to. I'm going to go listen to some Rage Against the Machine.

I got busted years ago by some scruffy looking dudes walking the pits who turned out to be cops. I learned that if i'm riding on any land where its not legal I don't stop for anybody unless I know 'em.

Yeah it sucks but don't blame the cops if you get busted riding where you got no right.

Wow!

That's pretty remarkable!

I just heard the SAME story last weekend in the north Jersey woods.

Girl on broken down quad (actually a state ranger) needs help. Riders stop to assist, and get ambushed.

That's what happens when you stop for a quad, should of just roosted her as he passed by.

All this ends up doing is giving yet another reason why good, honest people can't risk helping someone in trouble. Besides the existing problems of risking a lawsuit, or getting into a legal situation as a witness, now you have to worry about getting fined or arrested for stopping for someone in trouble. It just goes along with the current trend in this country of forcing people to look out for themselves, and screw everyone else.

Jim