Fla. Friday Club next ride

Ok, we all have a pretty good feeling of the lay of the land at the Sandbox. How about next ride we spend some time trying to figure out a good Hare Scramble like course. The place has lots of potential, we just need to spend some time figuring it out. Maybe Mark could bring the 4-wheeler to cut some trails. Just lay out something that is a circuit that we could get a little racy on. I thinking we should be able to get a 4 or 5 mile course on the south side. We could cut some trails, throw in some obstacles, stuff like that. What do you all think?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good to me. I would be willing to help out. It would be nice to have a course where everybody knew which way to go. Might even try a real Hare Scramble someday. This could be a good test and/or practice for the real thing.

Mark C

Great idea....but can we keep it on the good dry trails. I HATE the muck areas where your bike is packing black gunk into the casing and rear wheel. Some of those trails are awesome and would make for some good fast runs. I like to ride my bike atleast twice without having to strip it down to clean. I get a shot in my hand next week so I should be ready to go anytime after mid next week.

So what your saying is the north grassy trail that I thought was going to dryout eventually is to hard for you fellows? The trick is to set your ride up just for mud and sand. I:E Mad Max front tire/S12 rear and just dont clean your bike for a few weeks.............or you could do a yellow sub washing!

Great Idea. I took Monday off work and took my daughter out by herself to work on her skills and we made about thirty miles. We spent some time on the North West end. A lot of the places are drying out and have good terrain/trails. We are going into the dry season which will open up a lot more potential. I rode a few new trails and could see easily where a few good 5 to 10 mile loops could be made. We made one complete 15 mile loop but that included a few roads we probably should not race on. So many possibilities!!!

So what your saying is the north grassy trail that I thought was going to dryout eventually is to hard for you fellows?

:naughty: Aaaa, yeah, thats what I was saying. :D

Actually what I was thinking is that the south side would be dryer more often. We could ride it every time we go out there. :naughty:

Mud, sand, hard packed,single track, fire roads, it's all part of the challenge. If you ride anywhere in Florida you have to be able to ride it all. Yeah the mud makes a clean up mandatory after each ride (but that is what they invented power washers for) :naughty: . Personally I like a little of everything. I imagine any of the hare scramble courses here in Florida are going to have some mud.

I was particularly interested in a trail we never got to finish. When Tommy's KTM broke :naughty: we were about to head into an area that was wide and had hard packed fast trails. It looked like there was actually some sort of grass growing on the trail. I don't think we ever got back out there that day.

I am thinking of going in on a lot. What is the actual "riding season". I am a littly nervous about riding out there during hunting season.

Mark C

I am thinking of going in on a lot. What is the actual "riding season". I am a littly nervous about riding out there during hunting season.

Mark C

That would be great... need a few more two wheelers in out there. :naughty::naughty:

Brett's right about hunting season. I rode out there and had no problems. Just stay out of the North end past the "swimming hole". You will see a few riding around with rifles on their 4 wheelers, but they're doing more riding than hunting. Definitely ride mid day and be out of there after 4PM... I'm not so worried about the sober hunters. No way they can not hear me coming. In fact, you do them a favor when you run the deer around (otherwise they just bed up and they never see anything unless they stumble onto them). My concern is the drunk hunter who thinks I'm scaring off his deer.

It's official. :naughty: I am a "sandbox" lot owner (or at least 1/6). Once I spend some more time out there and figure out the trails, I will make sure to take your advice about the hunting season.

I hope to go out there during the week this summer and take my boys (avoid weekend crowds). It would be nice if they could figure out a way to designate a camping area (with at least electricity and maybe even water). It would be fun to spend a few days camping and riding. I have done dry camping with my trailer (completely self contained) in Cades Cove (Smoky Mtns.). I can carry 150 gallons of fresh water and have a generator (noisy). I still want to check out Hard Rock and Croom sometime.

Mark C