Sign in to follow this  

Moab and SUWA "Open Letter"

Here is the SUWA response the OHV community and what they think of our not wanting to support businesses who are anti-access. I think it is a slap in the face. SUWA is basically saying that businesses would do as well or better if the OHV community was gone because the public lands were shut down to us.

http://www.suwa.org/entry.php?entry_id=661#795

(3) FROM MOAB WITH LOVE

A huge thank you goes out to all our members in Colorado and Utah who sent emails and made phonecalls to Moab businesses regarding our open letter to Governor Huntsman. More than 100 Utah business owners signed the letter that appeared in a full-page ad in the Salt Lake Tribune on Sunday, March 27.

The ad clearly demonstrated the growing breadth of support for balanced management of our public lands. A few off-roaders in online discussion groups, alarmed by the long list of businesses, reacted to the non-confrontational letter by targeting the most mainstream supporters for a retaliatory boycott. It was highly effective when these businesses, who rely in no small part on tourism revenues, also heard from folks who supported their stand for the land.

Most of the businesses who signed on to the open letter to the governor reported that an overwhelming majority of the comments they received from the public were favorable. This has made a huge impression! Word is spreading that taking a public stand to protect the land can be good for business--even in conservative southern Utah. Rest assured that the impact of your emails and phone calls will be felt for months and years ahead as we continue to expand grassroots for balanced public lands management.

If someone could make a simple updated list of the places to boycott that everyone could print off before they go to Moab that would be great, and maybe we can get Burnded to pin thead so it always be available :naughty:

Here is a link to the ad on SUWA's web site. It has all the business names. Some of the businesses have said they do not support the SUWA agenda and their names are on the list against their will. It appears as though SUWA used questionable tactics to get some of these names. Moab Lodging and Moabilia have said they did not want their names on the list. As far as I know, the others are fair game.

http://www.suwa.org/library/Final_Huntsman_ad.pdf

Here is the SUWA response the OHV community and what they think of our not wanting to support businesses who are anti-access. I think it is a slap in the face. SUWA is basically saying that businesses would do as well or better if the OHV community was gone because the public lands were shut down to us.

http://www.suwa.org/entry.php?entry_id=661#795

(3) FROM MOAB WITH LOVE

A huge thank you goes out to all our members in Colorado and Utah who sent emails and made phonecalls to Moab businesses regarding our open letter to Governor Huntsman. More than 100 Utah business owners signed the letter that appeared in a full-page ad in the Salt Lake Tribune on Sunday, March 27.

The ad clearly demonstrated the growing breadth of support for balanced management of our public lands. A few off-roaders in online discussion groups, alarmed by the long list of businesses, reacted to the non-confrontational letter by targeting the most mainstream supporters for a retaliatory boycott. It was highly effective when these businesses, who rely in no small part on tourism revenues, also heard from folks who supported their stand for the land.

Most of the businesses who signed on to the open letter to the governor reported that an overwhelming majority of the comments they received from the public were favorable. This has made a huge impression! Word is spreading that taking a public stand to protect the land can be good for business--even in conservative southern Utah. Rest assured that the impact of your emails and phone calls will be felt for months and years ahead as we continue to expand grassroots for balanced public lands management.

Balanced management?

Non-confrontational?

Let the spin begin.

Anyway, letter to the SUWA idgits:

Dear Anne,

How you can call your plan "balanced management" is WAY beyond comprehension.

All of your favored recreation types have numerous, as in many more available areas, to use than OHV areas in this country. If you do not want to be bothered by OHV use stay away from those areas. It is simple, live and let live. You will not see me coming to a wilderness area and complaining that I do not hear any motorcycles, 4x4's, or other motorized vehicles.

Luckily, the country is catching on to your greenie rhetoric and the tide is turning in favor of multiple use and not exclusionary use as you would like.

In short, I still believe in "This land is your land, this land is my land" unfortunately others like yourself do not see it that way.

Sincerely,

Tim Winder

Boulder, CO

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Figured the Boulder,CO would get her attention!

Here is an email repsonse I got back from Moab Chevron today about the SUWA letter:

Dear Warren,

We learned of this letter two days after it was published. I am writing to clarify our stance. In no way are we anti-access or against OHV recreation. We do believe in responsible and sustainable recreation as do most jeepers and OHV enthusiasts. We do regret the fact that because of this letter we are now thought to be in cahoots with SUWA. We never intended on becoming politically involved in such a sticky situation and will be much more careful when it comes to conversations we have and petitions that we accidentally sign, being unaware of the consequences. I hope that this letter does not stop you or your friends from coming to Moab and patronizing the local businesses. Many of us listed, were unaware of what we were signing and the response it would have.

Sincerely,

Ashle Kent

Moab Chevron-

That's a pleasant surprise...

I bet that most of the businesses knew what it was that they were signing

but under estimated just how much it would upset the OHV community.

I have no doubt that SUWA would use under-handed techniques in their efforts to sign businesses on to their agenda. I'm sure many of these businesses really are on board with the anti-access groups. Some of the businesses were mis-represented. Some of the businesses just plain messed up.

Speaking for myself and a few friends, we will keep the list with us while in Moab. I will spend my cash at places that are not on the list or the ones where I have seen an official statement about their OHV access position.

I had a friend that was going to purchase an expensive mountain bike from REI until I showed him that REI is a business member of SUWA. We may not realize how much economic impact we can have if we focus our efforts.

Also, registration of OHV's in the State of Utah puts millions in to the state coffers. I'm not sure the State is willing to just flush those fees down the toilet because there are no public lands left to ride on. If all there is left to ride on is private OHV parks, there will be no reason to register your OHV. The State earns no registration fees from the "green" hiker crowd.

Until there is an updated list of businesses in Moab we should stick with what we have. The businesses who are against this need to speek out publicly against the SUWA's tactics. They should vote in a representative and tell us and the public &%$#@! has happened with this issue. Otherwise if your name is on this list, screw you! Why don't they give us a list of businesses who were listed wrongly if its so important to them. It's time we make a stand so I say hit them all in the freaking wallet, HARD! $0.00

In short, I still believe in "This land is your land, this land is my land" unfortunately others like yourself do not see it that way.

Unfortunately there are the few bad apples out there that do not believe this. They fail to see the difference between share and destroy. (Destroy - as in ride off the trails)

Ive got no problem with OHV areas, I ride there too, but things go south real fast once someone cant keep his ass on the trail.

Unreasonable?

Unreasonable?

Yes manny your unreasonable, how many times do you have to hear it??? :naughty:

Your unreasonable in your position on closing areas and your unreasonable in your continued addressing this issue when you say you won't. Finally your unreasonable in your continued question if your unreasonable. :naughty:

Everyone here realizes there are a few bad avocados out there that hurt our image, no one here is defending them, but most also don't think thats reason enough to close lands and enlarge the National Parks as you have suggested.

Unfortunately there are the few bad apples out there that do not believe this. They fail to see the difference between share and destroy. (Destroy - as in ride off the trails)

Ive got no problem with OHV areas, I ride there too, but things go south real fast once someone cant keep his ass on the trail.

Unreasonable?

Manny, I am not disputing the fact that bad apples spoil it for all. However, the uncompromising stance of the greenie movement needs to be met with the same type of force from the OHV community if we want to continue to ride in the future. Things go South real fast when one group thinks that its recreation choice is superior to another for whatever reason. I am more than willing to share but I do not see that type of goodwill from the opposition. Until that day comes I will not give any slack or concessions to any green type of agenda, EVER.

You can post your pro-greenie views all you want but I will never give in and say OHV's do not have a right to use the land as well. FYI, there is a difference, a HUGE difference beteween a green agenda and a pro environment stance. I too love the wilderness, love to fly fish, hunt etc..so I do not want it destroyed anymore than you do. However, I do not think that shutting out select groups of people is the answer.

In my view, Green agendas want EVERYONE out of the wilderness. OHV, Mtn. Bikers, hosremen, hikers (yes even your beloved hikers in the most extreme case) EVERYONE. Pro environment groups want to preserve the land for use by all people and all different type of activities without prejudice.

If you are on the GREEN side then you are the enemy and I have nothing left to say to you except, expect a battle because I refuse to give up my rights.

Well, Ive got no problem with equal rights to the use of land.

If not now, the problem will soon be the fact that these "greenie" groups will be able to go into these OHV areas now, and document the damage done, and take the steps necessary to close it. Ive seen it happen before. Seldom will you find areas that are not abused go closed.

No need to get snippy. Do you think I would own a dirtbike if I advocated the closure of lands? No!

My point through all of this is this: We (as OHV area users) NEED to find ways to stop the irresponsible members of our group from doing damage. We will all be better off if we can do this. I just dont know where to start......

It is unfortunate that people are still stupid enough to go out and destroy, Ide like to believe that all OHV area users know full well the threat of land closures due to damage caused by irresponsible acts, and the reaction to that damage caused. But apparently some do not. They still are out there, off the trail. How many more areas will be closed before they catch on? Will we be forced to buy private property to ride on?

In many cases, it is not necessarily "greenies" that are making a fuss. I doubt that too many Moabites care for the invasion of people coming into their backyard to tear it up. I dont know about you, but I could see it in the easter jeep safari. The responsible (majority) is being EXTRA careful because they know that they (as OHV area users) are walking on a thin line because of the irresponsibility of other members of the OHV community.

Tough, but other than carrying a camera and a pad to write down license plates, theres not much else that can be done..............

Been watching this post for a few days. I won't bore everyone with a bunch of opinions I've developed about it. But have to point out a few things: NO ONE in the group I ride with has ever intentionally gone off the trails, ever left a dirty camp, or been rude to others on the trail. I ride with a pretty large group. Why should I be denied access to public land because of the actions of others? Lumping the slobs that ride everywhere but on the trails, with real OHVers is like calling poachers hunters. Poachers aren't hunters and the slobs aren't OHV people. We are well self policed, the people doing these things aren't in our group.

Next, I keep reading about more fees. No thank you! I already play by the rules (more because it is the correct and polite thing to do, not only because of the rules) I don't need more taxes to enforce yet more rules. I am surprised at how fast people are willing to give up their freedom and accept rules. Know what? the slobs that caused this problem still won't follow the rules! We'll still be right where we are now. One last word on rules. I read that in the more crowded places people calling for rules on the trails,ie: one way trails etc. Know what? This is a potentially dangerous sport we are engaged in, you want total saftey? Go to Disney Land. If not, watch out for yourself and the others around you!

Last, I have a little experience with the greenies, wouldn't put it past them to do damage themselves and blame us. If it weren't human nature to take the easiest way, I say we join their group (PAC) and change the rules and political agenda.

Now, I'm off to bed. have two rabbit Valley trips and one Moab trip planned before the end of May. Have a new 300 EXC that I can't wait to get out there! Then the snow will be gone here in Colorado and we have a summer all planned out for some serious riding and exploring! Night Dudes and Dudetts!

Manny said:

No need to get snippy. Do you think I would own a dirtbike if I advocated the closure of lands? No

Manny you have said several times you would like to see areas closed around Moab and an expansion of Arches National Park.

I'm sure we all remember you saying

I would rather see it closed than just left out there for destruction

And how bout this jewel from manny

To be honest with you all, I would vote for enlagrement of the parks. (You can still ride dirt roads in there, you know

Or this one

I personally vote for the doubling of Canyonlands and Arches NP. That would acually be a real good solution

Or along the same line of thinking and really illustrating your position

The first thing to do is to make everything street legal only. That will weed out the noisy two strokers who just go out to tear it up anyway. If that dosent get it through, close it all down. Im a mountain biker, Ill just ride my bike. Oh well.

Are we being "unreasonable" in judging your position, I think not

Are we being "unreasonable" in judging your position, I think not

Well said and documented. :naughty:

I just spent 9 days riding the Moad area with my family. I can honestly say that I saw more damage to the cryptobiotic soil from mountain bike tracks that anything else. Just because it doesn't have a motor doesn't make it any better.

It's about the riders and drivers. I'm teaching my children and my wife how beautiful it is out there, and how fragile. I'm teaching them to respect other users, stay on the trails, pick up trash, and just be good citizens and stewards of the lands.

I'm reasonable, realistic, and responsible. This may be one of those times when the "silent majority" needs to speak up and be heard.

We never intended on becoming politically involved in such a sticky situation and will be much more careful when it comes to conversations we have and petitions that we accidentally sign, being unaware of the consequences.

Sincerely,

Ashle Kent

Moab Chevron-

"Accidentally"?? I like that letter. Sound something like, "Officer, I'm not guilty! I ACCIDENTALLY robbed the bank."

Oh, well. Gov. Huntsman isn't an idiot. I am sure that there would be publicly funded research into land use before making any restrictions or new laws.

John

No need to get snippy.

Dude, I have not even approached being "snippy" yet. Just stating my viewpoint.

:naughty:

Well, I was trying to come up with a solution that allows for better policing of these areas, with the same chance to ride the trails.

Ill gladly pay $10 bucks for a week of park entrance/riding to lessen the chance of seeing random acts of destruction.

I should take back some of the things that I said previously (in fact I did, but you didnt quote that). Some of you pissed me off, so I figured Ide do the same back to you.

The thing is that the groups that are pushing to close these areas tie all users of the land into one group, and when any destruction is done, all are blamed, and all will suffer. They dont care that it is just a random few people who do the damage.