Sign in to follow this  

danger calgary and area riders

You have seen the maps?? There are a lot reports around of what's on the map and what's not. Black Rock to South Ghost closed to motorized vehic's :naughty: Very limited truck roads and double track. Is this plan cut in stone? I think the plan also mentions 2 sessions where trails can be "negotiated" back. I've written letters to the powers that be. What else can be done at this point? :naughty:

I'm going to renew my membership to the Alberta Off Highway Vehicle Association (AOHVA) right now. Hopefully others will join as well.

http://www.aohva.com/

Check out the website, they have all the latest info on the OHV areas, and all the links to help us out in our fight to keep our riding areas.

I never thought this "California style" environmentalism would reach us here in AB, I guess I was only fooling myself to think that.

Hopefully we can band together and be the squeaky wheel.

Waxy

I joined RMDRA this AM too. :naughty:

I'm definitely going to make a point of getting to the meeting on May 31.

If I can find the time, I'll even try to send out a letter or two.

Waxy

Has everyone written a letter yet? There is great letter on the RMDRA site by Claude Giguere. We need to keep sending these. Get a copy of the letter, revise it to your own words and send it to all the parties involved. This is really important. Nobody wants to lose a prime area like the Ghost :naughty:

Good article on writing letters about GAMP is here:

http://www.rockymountaindirtriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13

I got a letter response from Ralph Klein, David Coutts, Clint Dunford and Gary Mar by using Mail Merge in Word to directly cc each Minister and ask for a response. They use very nice paper :naughty:

Anything relative in their responses? or is it a lot blah blah blah

Yes I am and so should you and others consider joining up as we need members to help fight this or riding as we know it will be a memory. Write your MLA , the premier and the minister for SRD, D. Coutts. See the RMDRA wesite for help in doing this . Now is the time!

Anything relative in their responses? or is it a lot blah blah blah

It was a lot of blah blah, however my feeling is that at least it is a bit in their mind since the letters have their actual signatures. The response from Clint Dunford sounded encouraging but that was it.

I'll be sending another round of letters very soon.

The RMDRA just today released a new GAMP Handout document that really details what is in the current GAMP draft. Check it out on their web site.

http://www.rockymountaindirtriders.com

are you guys aready members of RMDRA :naughty:

Yes, from day 1 which was even before we planned to be involved in Land Advocacy.

Are you a member? I think I saw a user "onthemain" that signed up on the RMDRA forum.

You have seen the maps?? There are a lot reports around of what's on the map and what's not. Black Rock to South Ghost closed to motorized vehic's :naughty:

Banff boy,

The SRD has not allowed the participants to share the maps. SRD released the map to each participant very reluctantly. The RMDRA folk are trying to get permission to publish the map, however so far the answer is no. The GAMP Handout on the RMDRA web site has descriptions of what is on the map.

GAMP=

Ghost-Waiparous Anti Motorized Plan

:naughty::D:D:D:cry::D:D:p

I got my AOHVA membership in the mail yesterday.

It's too darn cold and snowy to put the sticker on my truck though. :naughty:

Any more news?

Waxy

I have seen the preview GAMP map. It is 4' x 5' and only has a little motorcycle trails up near the Fallen Timber campground. The map is up on display at Bowridge Cycle in Cochrane. It says right on the map in big letters that the map is for discussion only and is not to be duplicated or reproduced.

They are locking out the 2 largest user groups being OHV and Random campers in that order. :naughty:

Saw the map today. What I can't figure it out, is that there are areas near Hunter Valley that have marked motorcycle signs on the trails, yet they are not on the map :naughty:

if that doesn't make you mad nothing will

Are we (RMDRA) the only club fighting for trails? I just took a look at the second gear club's site and there is nothing on it :)

I never thought this "California style" environmentalism would reach us here in AB, I guess I was only fooling myself to think that.

Waxy

Waxy, I have a copy of the California Off-Road Adventures Guide and was actually quite surprised at how many sites they have managed to maintain, inspite of urban growth and anti-noise legislations.

Here, in Kelowna, the motocross track has continued complaints/pressures and they're not even located too close to town. All it takes is a few complaints for local area politicians to have to respond. As for trails- I'm worried about losing access to our smaller local dirtbike area and pray that Bear Creek never gets shutdown.

I think that maybe, when we live in (quickly) developing areas we need to be realize that the "California model" might end up being a better than nothing model and may even protect the sport for future generations. With good planning than maybe it won't be too bad at all (albeit, never as good as "the old days"- unless more land is brought in or properly developed).

I wish you all luck and hope that you're treated fairly and with great consideration.

banffboy,

Get in there to help and see what you can do to gain/maintain access in your riding area. If you want an analogy- I remember when we could ride our Mtn bikes on any trail in Banff. Now you have next to none (am I correct? decent ones, anyway). If only Mtn bikers had realized, way back then, that their backcountry existence was going to all but disappear in the Park I wonder if they could have done something to secure access for the future. I think the trick is to pre-choose the compromises before you're even forced to because, by then, the choices are sometimes pretty lean as the neah-sayers (sp?) have often already decided that they want the "evil" riders out.

Goodluck.

Are we (RMDRA) the only club fighting for trails? I just took a look at the second gear club's site and there is nothing on it :)

banffboy,

Get in there to help and see what you can do to gain/maintain access in your riding area. If you want an analogy- I remember when we could ride our Mtn bikes on any trail in Banff. Now you have next to none (am I correct? decent ones, anyway). If only Mtn bikers had realized, way back then, that their backcountry existence was going to all but disappear in the Park I wonder if they could have done something to secure access for the future. I think the trick is to pre-choose the compromises before you're even forced to because, by then, the choices are sometimes pretty lean as the neah-sayers (sp?) have often already decided that they want the "evil" riders out.

Goodluck.

Did you use to live in Banff?? Right now it's a big letter writing campaign to save the Ghost. I'm a member of the RMDRA. I'm printing the handouts for the longweekend (i work for a commercial printer). I've also volunteered my services for the GPS mapping of the trails as I know the areas really well. As far as the Mtn trails in Banff you're not quite right. There is still miles of single track to be ridden that is open all around tunnel mtn/hoodoo/two jack. The have closed the front side of Norquay (those were mostly downhill runs that were being shuttled). They are currently looking at making some trails for the downhillers off tunnel. :)