ordered my Edelbrock pumper today

i hope i have it by this weekend as i plan to ride the rockies with it.

Congrats :naughty: ...you will love it :naughty:

Be sure to write back to tell us what you think of the difference!

How did your stock carby perform? Was there much wrong with it?

My stock carby runs fine, nearly, most of the time. No actually, now that I think of it, it shits me sometimes! Has a bit of a flat spot at around 65 kays in 4th.

Im curious to what difference a pumper would do.

my stock carb has a problem when i am on bumpy roads or should i say just dirt roads where as on smooth pavement it runs fine.

the problem comes when i am under throttle and on a rough road it stalls out. people have said its the float level.

i figure that is all the excuse i needed to try the E carb

otherwise the stock carb works good. i belive it runs a little lean on idle because it pops and backfires on deceleration.

i talked to the guy at barnums who apparently designed this carb for edelbrock. he definitly knows that carb and the xr in and out. he told me how to adjust everything on it and just from our conversation i am 100% confident there will be noticable gains.

the better fual atomization will add power and because the fuel is better atomized it burns better. when you get a better burn the altitude affects the burn less. also the A/F mixture can be easily adjusted with your hand on the trail with no tools. he said once you have the correct needle installed you can fatten or lean the mixture in seconds. and since there is only 1 metering device (the needle) he said that the easiest way to adjust the carb is to richen it up to the point where it just stops backfireing on deceleration.

also i believe with my 1-2 sized leaner jetting ont he stock carb and with my mods as well as my elevation i belive the main jet of my carb is still running the motor rich. so getting the fuel mixture a little more consistant and having the ability to "dial it in" i cant help but firmly believe the bike will run a lot different.

then with the pump i suspect the bike will be more responsive. some people have said their xr with this carb will allow them to wheelie the bike in 3rd. at this elevation that would be a dream. if i could do that in 2nd gear the way i can now in 1st gear i would be a happy camper.

i just hope they get it ordered in time and it gets here before the weekend.

you forgot to tell them you bought me one too... :naughty:

Your gonna love the E carb............. :naughty::D

It will be like a new bike........... :naughty:

... some people have said their xr with this carb will allow them to wheelie the bike in 3rd....

imo - believe just about all except that part. I believe that's wishful thinking - others here will disagree. To each his own.

(Yes, I have the Edelbrock and really like it so far.)

thoes are expectations from someome living near sealevel, dont forget ive probly got at least 6000 feet on you. my expectations arent that high given my location.

where is the best (cheapest) place to get the E carb?

i have found that i can blip the throttle and pick my front tire up in 2nd. if i pre-load the fork and yank the bike i can pick it up in 3rd (but its not easy) if there is a nice bump in the trail or i am coming over the top of a hill i can pick it up in 4th. and thats with 14-45 gearing. i had a properly jetted stock carb with the same mods and it could hardly pick the front tire up in 2nd and yes it WAS properly jetted.

where is the best (cheapest) place to get the E carb?

i bought mine from Barnumspro for several reasons.

as much as i would have liked to support TT and this site i called them and asked if they had any in stock since Mar had posted the link several times. turns out they dont have access to it anymore and needed to get registered with Edelbrock before they could order. i wanted mine by this comming friday so i could ride with it this weekend.

2. Barnums sold to me for 425.00 shipped they used to be 399 but apparently prices went up.

3. Rob at Barnums actually designed the carb and i felt like if i ever had any problems ill get 100% of his attention and help if i need any.

i have found that i can blip the throttle and pick my front tire up in 2nd. if i pre-load the fork and yank the bike i can pick it up in 3rd (but its not easy) if there is a nice bump in the trail or i am coming over the top of a hill i can pick it up in 4th. and thats with 14-45 gearing. i had a properly jetted stock carb with the same mods and it could hardly pick the front tire up in 2nd and yes it WAS properly jetted.

:naughty: I just got a stock '93 XR250 from a buddy and nothing at all has been modified on it and it has no problem wheelieing in 2nd gear. I have to slide forward on the seat to keep the front end from getting too light. It will come up in 3rd if I do as you say. It has a hard time coming up in 1st because of wheelspin and not getting enough traction. I'm not exactly light either since I tip the scales at about 215. Last weekend was the first time that I've ridden it. I actually thought that it felt underpowered but I guess I must have gotten a good example. My buddy did excellent maintenance (I have all the records) and it had less than 1500 miles on it (not bad for $1000). :naughty:

Everybody's wheelie expectations are different, but as an owner of 3 xr400's here is my $.02. I ride mostly standing and if I let off just a little then crack throttle and pull bars just a little every XR400 I have rode will wheelie in 4th gear with Gordon mods. I mean I am racing along in 4th and suddenly see a big **whatever** in the trail, I can get the front end 2 feet in the air with confidence and bast through and save it. BUT my '99 has an annoying sputter when landing hard or basting really rough ground. I have done all the float tricks and either am going to swap on one of my '96 carbs to try or get the edelbrock carb. Also I just installed the XR's only choke plate and find cold starting MUCH harder.

you guys are not reading my post or are missing the point I LIVE AT 6500 FEET! you cant do a wheelie on an XR250 in 3rd gear at this elevation. i dont even know if a Ecarb equipped bike would.

when you life in ohio or maryland anmd probly about 50 feet above sealevel you have at least 25-35% more HP than i do.

you guys are not reading my post or are missing the point I LIVE AT 6500 FEET! you cant do a wheelie on an XR250 in 3rd gear at this elevation. i dont even know if a Ecarb equipped bike would.

when you life in ohio or maryland anmd probly about 50 feet above sealevel you have at least 25-35% more HP than i do.

50 feet, I'd get altitude sickness that high up. I'm actually about 26 feet above sea level at my house. :naughty: I'm not sure if I'd want my 250 if it was down on power any more since it is already fairly anemic. Of course I could always lose 40 pounds and it would feel more powerful. :naughty:

my ported and polished rm250 with a fmf pipe can hardly pick the front tire up in 4th. it can pick it up but no more than maybe a foot off the ground. i have ridden 4 xr4's other than mine (all of them were slower and not tuned as good). i have ridden 2 xr250's an none of these bikes had the power some of you are claiming?!? i just dont get it

my ported and polished rm250 with a fmf pipe can hardly pick the front tire up in 4th. it can pick it up but no more than maybe a foot off the ground. i have ridden 4 xr4's other than mine (all of them were slower and not tuned as good). i have ridden 2 xr250's an none of these bikes had the power some of you are claiming?!? i just dont get it

My '91 CR250 could wheelie 5th, my modified WR426 4th easy, maybe 5th, my DRZ400 wheelie in 4th. :naughty:

i don,t mean by slipping the clutch. i mean if you just grab the throttle will it wheelie?? I have had alot of bike but i never had a bike that could wheelie in 5th gear. maybe its the gas in CT?

I'm not being critical here so don't take this the wrong way. A lot of it depends on riding style and experience. I rode my first motorcycle in 1968 and have ridden quite a few since then (I've also been roadracing since the late 1970's). I know a guy who has a Suzuki Hyabusa who cannot get it to wheelie. :naughty: I've ridden it and I can barely keep the front wheel on the ground without shifting my weight forward quite a bit. It took me most of a day to get the feel for the XR before I could get it to wheelie when I wanted it to. I have to actually work at it in 3rd to get it up enough to balance. 2nd is no problem. As I said before 1st gear just spins the tire. I haven't actually found much use for 1st gear at all except for idleing along through tight trees / brush. I get a better launch to the first corner by starting in 2nd. :naughty:

i agree with jazzbrother, the only way the bike will pull a wheelie in third gear is if you have something to bump the front up into the air. i have tried and it just won't do it on the straight and level. :naughty: