03 450 Clutch Actuator Question

I recently purchased the GYT clutch kit for my 03 450, I have installed the new plates but have not installed the longer actuator that comes with the kit. What is the easiest way to intall this?? Can I just pull it out from the oil seal and replace the seal or do I have to remove the entire clutch to get to it??

Thanks for the help. :naughty:

You don't have to remove the entire clutch, but you do have to remove the pressure plate and draw the inner clutch push rod out far enough to let the actuator arm come up and out. With the plate removed, you may be able to rotate the actuator counter clockwise far enough to move the rod out of the way.

You'll love the clutch. It's a Hinson. :naughty:

You will need to remove the clutch pressure plate as the actuator arm has a notch in the end where the push rod contacts. It real easy to do. You can do this without draining the oil by leaning the bike over to the left and remove the small clutch side cover, then remove the 5 clutch spring bolts and springs, remove the pressure plate and pull the center push rod out a little bit, .5" is enough, now remove the actuator arm and insert the new arm, then reassemble everything. It should take about 15 minutes.

Ron let us know if it indeed lessens clutch pull.....I have heard both opinions on this.

Two Fingers :naughty:

Will be testing this at the track tomorrow but first impression is that it is much easier. I also re-bled my Hydraulic clutch so that did help a little. It is very smooth now :naughty:

Will be testing this at the track tomorrow but first impression is that it is much easier. I also re-bled my Hydraulic clutch so that did help a little. It is very smooth now :naughty:

Heck Ron, that hydraulic clutch makes clutch pull a lot easier in the first place - I used to have a Hebo on a 02 WR426 sweet!

I am going to have to do some clutch work here in the next several months - thinking about that GYTR kit with the plates and a full Hinson set up like GreyRacer has - he seems to like it :naughty:

GreyRacer did you do the clutch arm mod or leave yours stock?

Yeah, the Magura does smooth it out a little, but the longer arm does feel easier.

When I took my clutch apart I thought for sure that I would really need to replace the basket/pressure plate....but it was like new so I just did the plates. I am torn to because I have a 2003 and my original plan was to get a new bike every 3rd season. With the potential of the 2006 YZ having an Alluminum frame I thought that I would wait 1 more year.

Keeping the bike 1 more year means putting some $$$$$ into it. :naughty:

Aside from the clutch the only other thing I needed to fix was the water pump leak amd I went with the Boyeseen kit....very nice!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By yz480doinwork
      Brand new, still in the packaging Lexx end cap fits the stock muffler of 2006 & 2007 YZ450f and 06-13 YZ250f. Comes with a forest service approved spark arrestor and two different size tips. Don't spend hundreds of dollars on a slip on, this tip can be quiet and forest legal or loud and make power! Also a note for WR450 guys: get this tip and find a used 06/07 YZ muffler, fits directly on 09-15 WR450. $80 shipped free to the lower 48. PM, call or text 406-223-8789
    • By Woody Oakson
      So I have a 2008 yz450f and I would like to add some LED lights to it to make it street legal. Mainly just a headlight and a tail light and turn signals if I need to (which where I live hand signals work).
      So where I need help is getting power from the stator to a battery. Wiring from a battery to anything else I got and understand and don't need help with (but recommendations are welcome). So my questions are.
      What type of power is coming from the stator. AC or DC? Will I need a regulator or rectifier? How do I wire something from the stator to charge a battery? What would that wiring look like? Would this stator http://www.rickystator.com/product/stators/yamaha/yamaha-yz450f-35-watt-lighting-stator-assembly-06-09 work? Anything else I should know? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    • By Samx22x
      Alright so I’m new to the site so maybe this question has already been asked. I have a 2002 Yz426f and I want a new exhaust, it has the stock header and silencer and sounds amazing but I’d like a little more from it, I know I want the fmf power bomb header and am kind of undecided on the silencer, I see on fmf’s website that their silencer will add low end and slightly take from top end and the other way around but I’m looking for increases throughout rpm range. I do a lot of trail, hill climbs, jumps, and wheelies so kind of need good performance everywhere in the rpms. My question is what silencer I should get and the jetting I should get for the carb. Thanks
    • By Zack Ailing
      hey guys just picked up a new project bike. Its a 2008 Yz450f with a big bore kit and a stroker crank. The total cc of the engine is now 499. It runs on race gas and will be an absolute monster when shes ready to rip. I will continue to make more videos on the bike so stay tuned Link to the video: 
    • By High On Octane
      2005 YZ450F, Athena Big Bore, Power Bomb, Q4.
      Ok.  Last fall after a decently hot day at the track, I noticed coolant leaking from the weep hole on my water pump after pulling into the pits.  Ordered an Athena re-seal kit, put it all back together and didn't really get a chance to ride it.  3 weeks ago, went out to the track, and after about 20 laps, it started leaking again.  Kept filling it with water to get thru the day, never ran anywhere close to dry or empty, jut a cup or 2 low.  Ordered a Hot Rods re-seal kit with bearing and also ordered a new w/p shaft.  Did it all again and got it back together, ran it, and as soon as it got to temp, it was leaking out of the weep hole again.
      So, what the heck am I missing?  I'm totally stumped on this one.  Is something wrong with my case cover?  Do I need to replace the w/p itself?  I'm feeling like I should've just ponied up for the Boysen in the first place, and now it's biting me in the butt.  Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!