Best place to get a good price on a helmet cam??

I'm looking to get a helmet cam. Where's the best place to get one, online or not? Also what's a good, reasonably priced helmet cam? Thanks!! :naughty:

I looked long and hard before making my helmet cam purchase. The best and most affordable I decided is RF Concepts out of Ireland of all places. They are able to sell it cheaper and got it to me in three days! http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/helmet_cameras.htm It is a sony bullet cam with RF Concepts accesories. I really like mine but it's still a bunch of wires to be futzing with.

Excuse my ignorance but what all is needed for a helmet camera set up? Where is the video stored? Is there a memory card of some sort? Sorry, I know nothing about helmet cams yet. :naughty:

I found a link to killer helmetcam site a while back but forgot to bookmark it. They offered a DVR with their kit. Basically it's a digital harddrive for storing video.

I found the link here on TT. Maybe someone can point us in the right direction???

A basic set up consists of 3 parts.

Helmet cam~ this is a small remote camera attached to the hemet or bike.

Battery pack~ this is the power suply for the helmet cam

Camcorder or PVR (personal video recorder)~ a small mini DV camcorder with a anolog INPUT jack to connect to the helmet cam is required. Here is a list of compatible units.

http://www.viosport.com/support/index.php?type=ntsc&page=compatibility&manufacturer=Show+All

PVR's are like an MP3 player and store video as data in the same fashion. these aer small and compact but PRICEY.

here's another list of compatible units.

http://www.viosport.com/support/index.php?type=pmp&page=compatibility&manufacturer=Show+All

I found a link to killer helmetcam site a while back but forgot to bookmark it. They offered a DVR with their kit. Basically it's a digital harddrive for storing video.

I found the link here on TT. Maybe someone can point us in the right direction???

try www.jonescam.com or http://www.skullcamz.com/ :naughty:

OK, so you have to carry a camcorder to plug the helmet cam into? You have to ride with a pack I guess? That's a bummer. I was thinking that they were digital and loaded a memory card?????

So do you have to mount the PVR somewhere on the bike or does it send it to the camcorder via radio frequency or what?

you can get a wireless transmitter, but again, your talking big money.just put it in your camelbak, they are small.

I REALLY like the extreme mount that comes with the www.helmetcamera.com kits. I ate it super hard and ripped the camera off my helmet and still had no damage to the unit.

I've also scratched the protective cover on the mount as well so an open lens will eventually get hit with roost or scratched from dirt and debris.

you can get a wireless transmitter, but again, your talking big money.just put it in your camelbak, they are small.

OK, cool. I was thinking I'd have to buy this brick sized thing and lug it around.

Anyone have a Cam II or Cam 3 from Viosport? I'm looking for something small and waterproof for wakeboarding and tough enough for MX. The Cam II comes with a rechargeable battery pack and LANC for $290, but it's only 380 resolution.

Anyone have a Cam II or Cam 3 from Viosport? I'm looking for something small and waterproof for wakeboarding and tough enough for MX. The Cam II comes with a rechargeable battery pack and LANC for $290, but it's only 380 resolution.

my undestanding is that these things are all waterproof. I use mine on my jet ski. And 380 isnt bad. played straight to your tv or computer it is every bit at clear as the actual camcorder. video compression for uploading to the web is what destroys image quality.

Would my little Sony Handycam cam be any good for this kind of thing? after seeing all these cool helmet acm videos it makes me want to produse some of my own videos.

thansk for any advice.

Rich

also what kind of editing software should I expect to be using?

Cool, thanks wolf. This setup looks pretty cool too.... Twenty20camera.com

TWMX did a review and gave it an 8 of 10 b/c of mud getting on the lens, but that could happen to any camera.

Cool, thanks wolf. This setup looks pretty cool too.... Twenty20camera.com

TWMX did a review and gave it an 8 of 10 b/c of mud getting on the lens, but that could happen to any camera.

I would seriously look at the link I posted above. thats the cam I have and I have had no issues at all and the price is rock solid.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21165&item=7506846453&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

2 mounts

extra lens

mic

AA battery pack

and some other stuff for 145

Sony MiniDV Handycam Camcorder with 2.5" SwivelScreen Touch-Panel LCD

Model: DCR-HC32

According to that website you linked my camera has 2 asteriks next to the name which makes it higly recommended.

All I need now is the rest of the equipment,.

Rich