Sign in to follow this  

jumping an xr

Anyone do any jumps with an xr250?

If so, how high and how far? :naughty:

XRs aren't really made for jumping. You can ride the wheels off them and get some distance, but you really need a lot better power/weight ratio to start jumping farther, especially with some safety margin. The day that I badly cased a double (only about a 35' step-up) at the local MX track on my XR250, was the day that I decided that I needed to buy a CRF450 or other MX bike if I wanted to keep working my way up and out on the jumps. My two cents. Stay safe bro!

I was getting a feel for jumping a bit off a wooden ramp three feet high, when my heels kept hitting the lawn, I figured that was about the limit.

Thanks.

I was getting a feel for jumping a bit off a wooden ramp three feet high, when my heels kept hitting the lawn, I figured that was about the limit.

Thanks.

From this link, it looks like the XR650 jumps pretty well in the sand.

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

I just wouldn't want to do many MX jumps on the XRs. I traded my CRF450 to a buddy for his XR400 a while back for a few laps, and it was downright scary to jump with it. Too much weight, and not enough suspension, IMO.

If you like jumping as much as I do, you should think about moving up to a motocross bike. The CRF450 is sweeeeet!! :naughty:

From this link, it looks like the XR650 jumps pretty well in the sand.

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

I just wouldn't want to do many MX jumps on the XRs. I traded my CRF450 to a buddy for his XR400 a while back for a few laps, and it was downright scary to jump with it. Too much weight, and not enough suspension, IMO.

If you like jumping as much as I do, you should think about moving up to a motocross bike. The CRF450 is sweeeeet!! :naughty:

Yeah I jumped a xr 400 and it was just down right horrible. Man I want a crf 450 so bad espically after terry let me ride his.

I have a buddy with an XR 400 that is smooth as butter on the dam thing....jumps it like Robby Knivel !!!! I ride an 05 CRF 450R :naughty:

This guy does not tire out :naughty:

I got pics of him jumping the XR.....not too shabby :D

I have an XR 400 that I run the local track on. I jump the tables at most 50 feet long and maybe 6-8 feet height. A few gap jumps are 30-40 footers but the landings are smooth down slopes so you dont really notice the weight. I have tried a few larger jumps at another track near by like 70 foot table getting maybe 8-10 feet high and I wouldnt want to go any higher than that. Its not so much the impact but the bounce that causes trouble. I bought a YZF 250 this year to make the most of the jumps but I still love the XR. I wouldnt run a supercross track with it but for an intermediate track you can have some fun on it. Most guys say their XR's cant hit jumps cause they dont have the balls to hit them. Put them on a MX bike and they find another excuse.

i've jumped my XR250 50 feet many times, but like someone else said i wouldn't want to go much farther. I also agree with the bouncing thing. Once I bottomed out so bad that the tires came off the ground about a foot after the suspension rebounded.

My uncle had a 2001 XR250 before he got a quad and was jumping everything at the local track and they varied between 15ft.-55ft. so you can jump but if your looking to rce I would get a mx bike.

my dad has had a pretty bad experiance on his old xr 650 trying to jump about a 40 ft double. unfortunately he rides a crf450r now. lol

I used to have (well still have its for sale) a XR250, and I did a little MX on it, You could jump it but it felt heavy and bottomed out constantly. If I was going to do it alot I'd be getting a mx bike. But it'll work just fot having some fun.

yeah get a new bike....... ive snapped 2 xr frames...... an xr100 (holy shit i used to jump that thing 10 foot in the air and flat land when i was a kid think i watched crusty 2 for first time b4 i snapped it tho )

then a xr 250 frame just above right footpeg, just on bush jumps!!!! the motors are bullet proof.... but the suspension and frame isnt, it can only take the punishment for so long.... so if you cant afford a new bike get some stronger fork springs like 90-100 and maybee try and find a cr250 rear shock/spring (we put a cr80 rearshock/spring in the 100 after we welded the frame up :naughty:) but then again was an 86 xr100 & a 88 xr250 so the frames of modern bike maybee a bit stronger :S

just remeber if your bottoming it out all the time your slowly killing it :naughty: