Is the DRZ400SM better???

Specs says it has USD forks and I've understood the rear fork is from the MX design.

how better is that from stock 400 S model ?

Rear is tha same, and i'm happy with my front. (SM > street & circuit)

I would like to have the USD, but ONLY for the looks.

Anyone know why USD forks are better? All I could find on the net was they are more rigid?

Thanks, Mike -

Specs says it has USD forks and I've understood the rear fork is from the MX design.

how better is that from stock 400 S model ?

Mine has stiffer Showa RM250-type forks, the fat, sticky moto tires, different front moto-style fender, bigger brakes front and rear, plus lower overall.

Plus, the swing-arm looks slightly different (tapered a little, slightly slimmer) from the S model -- somebody said they are from the MX bikes too.

Has 15/41 gearing.

Anyone know why USD forks are better? All I could find on the net was they are more rigid?

Thanks, Mike -

The best answer I have ever heard to that question is a reduction in unsprung weight.

Man it must be really coo if its got a rear fork!!!!!! :naughty:

I also found out last week that the handlebar is rubber mounted on the SM model.

handlebar rubber mounted?? I don't think that I would like that.

handlebar rubber mounted?? I don't think that I would like that.

The CRF's have it to.

I don't think so I've been actively searching for one here in town. Pueblo is so far behind in everything I don't even know if they know what one is. I don't go to the shop so I don't know if the guy ordered one or not. Truthfully I doubt it he seems reluctant to try anything new. I kind of doubt he even know what SM is. Unless it means his oldlady spanking his butt. prairiedawg :naughty:

I also found out last week that the handlebar is rubber mounted on the SM model.

Yes -- the bars are mounted on bolted-on (replaceable) risers the same as on the DR650SE, with a through-bolt into upper clamp, and a rubber-washer underneath as well as the normal solid washer -- this helps with vibration control in the handlebars of course. My DR650SE had absolutely NO handlebar vibes at any speed.

No, the bars don't "wiggle" if that's what you're wondering.

Man it must be really coo if its got a rear fork!!!!!! :naughty:

When I was in high school in the late 70's Harley-Davidson's MX Bike had rear telescopic suspension...