Fork bleeders were stuck open, forks felt great

Well, the first hare scramble this year I headed out without any real seat time on the new bike. I swapped everything over from the old bike including the forks. First lap the forks felt awesome...better than ever.

Then...my hydro clutch went out after only 30 min so I headed for the pits...put bike on stand and discovered that the fork bleeders were stuck open thus letting the air escape on every compression.

Question::::Like I said, the forks were a dream with the bleeders stuck open. Is this the same effect that you get from those fork tanks such as from Enzo? If so, I must have one. Please advise.

:naughty:

yes it is the same, although I'd be worried that you lost oil leaving the bleeder open all the time.

One of the first remarks about the subtanks is how plush the intital hit is after adding them.

Thanks for the reply. No doubt that I lost some oil. If its the same feel,I'm sold on a tank. Wonder if they interfere with a scotts damper... :naughty:

maybe in physical placement.

A system like the Enzo with two separate tanks would not clash with a Scotts Damper that I can see. These require maintenence, however, in that oil accumulates in them, and they must be drained back into the fork periodically.

A single tank system such as the Too Tech might be more difficult to work out, but the advantage is that they mostly drain themselves because the routing of the hoses is entirely "uphill".

You can build your own, too. Here's mine

Is there web sites with the 2 tanks in question here?

Enzo

TOO TECH

Mark

There's one for Too Tech , but I've never found one for Enzo. Their tanks are about half the size of mine, and are clamped to the fork legs (there's two) behind the number plate. The hoses run up out of the fork, and then down to the tank. They have a schraeder valve on the bottom of the tank to use for blowing oil back into the fork.

Now that you have had your fork question answered, could you tells us what happened to your clutch? You have somebody (I'm not naming names) who just ordered one worried. Thanks.

I have a Magura. I personally dont think they are designed well for YZF. (I have the old style and maybe they have improved since then.) I have lost the fluid several times down where the hose connects to the slave. The slave is entirely exposed to a boot or tree, etc. If you hit it just right, you can loosen a hose joint or bend the rod on the slave... I'm on my 3rd slave cylinder.

That said, when its working it is wonderful. I also know a guy that has had one on a wr for a few years with no problem. I went back to a cable at the last race and could hardly pull the thing back after 2 hrs. Gave me blisters, stiff fingers, the whole works. If I could feel confident with the Magura, I would gladly put it back on.

what the volume inside the bar?

7/8" bar or 1 1/8" bar?

is it the correct volume? :naughty:

I should pester them about testing. :naughty:

It seems simple enough although I just cant sell myself on the single tank approach. It just strikes me that with a single tank eventually one of the forks will get far too much fluid in it, and the other will be starved for oil because the oil will drain one way or the other and not equally.

I just cant sell myself on the single tank approach. It just strikes me that with a single tank eventually one of the forks will get far too much fluid in it, and the other will be starved for oil because the oil will drain one way or the other and not equally.
That could happen to a small extent. But the fork with a greater amount of oil in it is more prone to push oil up and out through the lines, so it becomes somewhat self correcting.

The problem with having a different amount of oil in each fork, as long as the oil stays above a level that will keep air out of the dampers, is that the air volume is different between the two sides. When this happens with stock forks, the spring effect of the air is then different in the two forks, which will cause a bending load at the axle, among other things. However, with a single tank, the forks share a common air chamber, so the air volume in either fork is always the total amount of air contained in the system, regardless of how much is on one side or other. With a sub tank, or tanks, you run more oil than normal anyway, because there's more space for the air in the fork. I run mine at the full 85mm maximum, something that was far too high for my tastes without the tank. I can transfer 50mm oil oil into the opposite fork without going below the minimum level, and I'm sure that a fork so overfilled would blow oil out the lines very readily. I haven't found much oil in the tank so far anyway.

And, I'm sold on M1 ATF now, too. :naughty: