Best Rear Sprocket Size for trailriding?

Im lookin to change gearing on my 04 crf 450. Probably ride 80% off road and 20% track. Should I go to a 52? 53? Should I buy a new front one also?How much of difference does it make? What about different flywheel weights are they really worth it?

I have mine geared at 14 frt & 47 rear...I ride mostly desert....great for top speed on the fireroads and fast sections.....but 1st is pretty tall..lots of clutch slipping in the real tight nasty sections....

Im lookin to change gearing on my 04 crf 450. Probably ride 80% off road and 20% track. Should I go to a 52? 53? Should I buy a new front one also?How much of difference does it make? What about different flywheel weights are they really worth it?

I have a 52 tooth rear and love it but that is pretty low gearing. You really need to check with some local riders and see what they run. Our tight NC singletrack and your trails may be nowhere near the same.

Will my chain still fit with a bigger sprocket? Chain is only got about 5 rides on it.

you might have to change the chain if you go to big...the stock chains dont last very long , so you should change it now anyway.

Nah you won't lose power cause of a heavier flywheel.It just smooths out the delivery.I run the same set-up as andrae 13/52 and an 11 oz. TrailTech flywheel.I used to have problems in the rough stuff with the bike's ultra quick response but no more.Makes running the whoops a blast for me.

I'm not a trail rider, but did try 13/50 on the mx track. It seemed really low, with the gears being really close. I ended up liking 13/49 or mx. I don't think I would like anything lower than 13/50-51 for the trails.

So a 11oz trailtech is 11oz heavier than stock? Is it a difficult install?

It's very easy to install, just be sure you have the correct puller or you'll ruin the crank. Get a new case cover gasket too.

On my 03 I have 13 - 48 & it works really well in the rails (2'nd & 3'rd most of the time) 13 - 50 is stock. I think I'm going to a 13 - 49 & see how that works out. Should be a good range for both track & woods.

I run 14/48 for trailriding with a 17oz flwheel weight plus rewound stator with the rare earth magnets, which increase resistance as well.

I havent ridden my 14/48 much yet but up and down the drive way it rocks. really widens the power out nicely.

Trying to bog the bike on steel hills was quite difficult. I dropped to almost zero revs and boy did it feel powerful.

14/48 even though many will say is desert gearing, rocks off road. First gear is actually usable and with a 17 oz flwheel you can watch the clutch less. It can still stall but as long as ou have some gas going, it's pretty difficult.

That said, the big CRF still packs an incredible wallop of power even with the 17 oz flwheel. I still can't believe how much of a hit it has.

Overall I think with 14/48 it allows the use of first when normally first would be impoissbly short if you ran say 13/49.

I'm gonna try a 46 rear soon and see how it goes.

Stock is 13-48... I slapped on a buddy's 50 and tried it in the mountains (9kfeet) this weekend..

I've never understood why people complain as I rode some tight stuff on major climbs at altitude with full stock bike and it lugs my 240lbs no problem.

Anyway.. the 2 more teeth is a little better tho brings shifts closer.. I wish I could easily try a few more combinations to know for sure.. but the only thing I can really tell you that may be useful is that with the two extra teeth you don't lose enough top-end to not still be scared when flat out.

I've settled on 13/49 on my rebuilt '02 ('04 piston and ported head). I ride trails in NorCal. It winds out a little bit early on very long open straights, but I like it overall for winding through the trials in 2nd and 3rd gear. 13/48 might be a little too steep for where I ride. Haven't tried any of the 14/?? combos however.

Just some more info on my setup...

I have a 14-52 combination on my 2004 CRF450 for track and dunes. 14-52 is nearly the same as the stock 13-48. That gearing is a bit high for tight trails, so I swap out the 14 front sprocket to a 13...

The advantage I found is that I dont have to change my chain length when swapping the front sprocket. Just have to re-adjust the slack.

-J

On 4/19/2005 at 1:29 PM, andrae said:

fly wheel weight yes yes yes yes I went +11 oz trail tech yes made it awsome. I am using 13/ 52 on my 03....

Did you have to change your Chain when u changed gearing?

Running 13/50 on an '07, stock is 13/48, also a +13 flywheel. Great trail gears, top end will still thrill. Depending on how many links you got(I think you need 117 for a 50), might not need a chain.