Is there a way to get a wider gear ratio?

I've been reading about the problems with the close gear ratio on the DRZ400S, and I'd like to use my bike on the highway as well as the trail.

Has anyone found a way to get a wider gear ratio or at least a taller 5th gear while retaining a trail-usable first gear?

That would actually be really cool. Just replace one sprocket in your tranny..little to no machining needed? I'd love somehting like that. I'm about to swithc to 14/47 but am going to miss cruising at 100kph easily (60mph). Even if i could make the sprocket in emachineshop and everyone pitch in and order like 100. It would only be a few buckes per sprocket...$10 maybe..along those lines.

That would actually be really cool. Just replace one sprocket in your tranny..little to no machining needed? I'd love somehting like that. I'm about to swithc to 14/47 but am going to miss cruising at 100kph easily (60mph). Even if i could make the sprocket in emachineshop and everyone pitch in and order like 100. It would only be a few buckes per sprocket...$10 maybe..along those lines.

That would be sweet... I wonder how much it would cost to have the gear changed out for those of us not quite qualified to dismantle our transmissions.

I am not sure how a bike tranny is but if it is like a Senquintial shift car tranny than you would have to replace one gear AND the entire counter shaft to match the change of the mating gear to the one you changed. Now, you could machine some off of your existing counter gear to make space for a bigger mating gear (ie, a numerically higher 1st for instance.) You could also weld in fill metal and then machine off whatever you need. Either way you are looking at a lot of work for a relatively small benefit.

But if someone was to come up with a wider spaced 5 gear set that reached a little shorter than first and a little taller than 5th with just slightly wider spacing, well, that would rock and it would be a bolt in mod. It would be pricey though.

Edit: You can bet on 5 hours book time minimum @ ~80/ hr for a certified machanic to crack open your engine case.