Sign in to follow this  

USRA class rules?

I'm just getting in to this racing thing, and was curious how the different classes are set up. I'm 29, and ride a KTM520sx. I would rate myself an amateur level rider I guess, but I've only raced once. Which classes can I race in? I noticed there's "OPEN Intermediate", "OPEN Jr", "Over 25 intermediate", "over 25 jr", and obviously the sportsmen class. Given my riding level and bike size, which classes can I race in? Thanks in advance if anyone on here knows about these classes and can help me out!

I'm just getting in to this racing thing, and was curious how the different classes are set up. I'm 29, and ride a KTM520sx. I would rate myself an amateur level rider I guess, but I've only raced once. Which classes can I race in? I noticed there's "OPEN Intermediate", "OPEN Jr", "Over 25 intermediate", "over 25 jr", and obviously the sportsmen class. Given my riding level and bike size, which classes can I race in? Thanks in advance if anyone on here knows about these classes and can help me out!

bmac....it depends on if you're talking MX or Desert. I'm assuming you mean MX but I'll outline both.

With your bike and age, you could ride in any of the Open classes. They usually have Beginner, Junior, Intermediate, and Pro classes in MX. However, in the age classes, they only start at Junior. So you could/should race in either the Open Junior, Over 25 Junior, or Sportsman class. Once you are 30, you would be eligible for the Over 30 Junior class or the Open Junior, or Sportsman. Personally, I wouldn't recommend starting out in the Intermediate classes.....those guys are fast and it is much more competitive. Keep in mind....the top guys in that class could probably run mid-pack in the Pro class. I would suggest Over 25 Junior.

For Desert, you could race Sportsman, Open 4-stroke, or Over 25 Novice, or I think there is even an "Open" class. Once again, I would suggest the Over 25 Novice, or Open 4-Stroke Novice class. Desert only has 3 class designations....Novice, Amateur, or Expert. Then within each of those designations you have all the subcategories such as the age classes, 250, 4-stroke, etc.

Have I confused you even more?

That helps. Thanks. What do you think of the big bike beginner class?

Big bike beginner class is sort of scary lots of 125s trying to keep up doing things they probably shouldnt. I am not a fan wouldnt be to bad if they would split it into two classes.250 and 125 just my .02

I agree with 138. Stay away from the BBB. Go for the Over 25 Jr. You'll have a blast!

This weekend is the WildWest race at OCA. They have an Over 25 A and an Over 25 B. You'd probably do well in the B class. They'll be having an open practice on Friday. I'll be there with the kids. You should come out ride with us.

That helps. Thanks. What do you think of the big bike beginner class?

Big Bike Beginner is usually one of the biggest gates of the entire day. This past weekend, the last moto of the day on Sunday was either 125 Beginner or Big Bike Beginner....I don't remember for sure. It was pure entertainment and chaos. I couldn't believe we could fit that many on the gate, and guys were going down everywhere. That class is full of young guys (teenagers) who are invincible and made of rubber :naughty:

Go for the Over 25 Junior. It will be plenty competitive, but nothing out of your league, and most everyone in the class has to go to work on Monday.

I live about 10 minutes from the track. It has been raining cats and dogs since yesterday afternoon at my house, but if the weather clears up by tomorrow, the track should be awesome this weekend (can't say the same for the parking lot).

Friday is an open-practice from 9-3 I think, and is $20 per rider. The track will be groomed and watered of course.

Great info! Thanks everyone. This weekend is a no race weekend for me. Boy has soccer, dad has to do some yard work and then go see Dust to Glory! I'll definitely ride the over 25 jr class at Delta though. Maybe I'll see some of you there?! Thanks again for all the info!

Thanks for the info on the open practice I think that I will go out and try it before I race it :naughty:

No problem. Despite the rain....the practice is still on. The track should actually be in good shape. They have had the equipment up there all week. Monday after the races they were working the track. Then the rain came Monday afternoon and hasn't stopped much since, so I don't think many people have been on the track.

Thanks for the info on the open practice I think that I will go out and try it before I race it :naughty:

I misspoke. I just received the following e-mail and apparently there is too much water and the Open Practice has been cancelled.

OCA MEMBERS

DUE TO THE RAIN IN OGDEN

FRIDAY'S OPEN PRACTICE

WILL BE

CANCELLED.

Please be aware however, that all races will be running as planned. The track has water in some areas that will be removed with pumps and we want the track to be in good condition for the races this weekend.

We would like to ask that all members pass the word around to their friends that just OPEN PRACTICE will be cancelled and the the races will not be effected.

Big Bike Beginner is usually one of the biggest gates of the entire day.

No doubt. The only USRA I did in BBB had (2) heats w/ both gates full down @ Bunker Hill. :naughty:

The other problem w/ the BBB class is sandbaggers. If there were no sandbaggers and they split between 125 & 250 it would be better.

I am thinking of entering the Bunker Hill mahem myself for the first time Bmac. Bunker Hill should be a good one to start on as there is nothing to worry about except the other riders :naughty:

I am thinking of going for the over 25 junior or over 30 junior.

mx

Ya I think I'll race over 25 jr. Maybe I'll see ya there! I drive a little white ford ranger, a small camp trailer, and a KTM 520 and a KTM 50. Say hi if you see me.