Sign in to follow this  

Kick starter available for crf230?

Had a heck of time starting my wifes bike this weekend when the battery ran down does any one make a kick start add on. Is it possible to add it to the bike it is a 2004 crf 230

Dude, ferget a kickstarter. The CRF230 does not need it... Get the bike running right and you'll NEVER run your battery low. My battery is 2 1/2 years old and it "KICKS" the bike over EVERY time

:naughty:

There's been a couple threads on this. To date, no one has really found a way.

If you need to start the bike because your battery is down (one in a million) just bump start it.

Hey, I installed a kicker on my 230 2 years ago. There is a pic of it in my garage. I have posted on this before. It has both kick and electric.

• Like 2

jobstress,

You can add a kick starter but it is not a simple "bolt on". You will have to install a complete transmission from another bike like the older XR200, or a CRF150, or other engine of this style, along with a host of other parts to do the deed. The reason the CRF230 only has an e-start, is because Honda improved the strength of the 6 speed tranny in the CRF230.

In order to do this, widening the gears was necessary. The kickstart mechanism designed for this style engine uses a gear along side the other transmission gears. This kickstart gear had to be sacrificed to make room for the new and improved 6 speed that the CRF230 enjoys.

To add kickstart capability, you will sacrifice durability. The kickstart gears are also showing themselves as a weak link in the CRF150's. I know of a number of 150 owners that have already broken kickstart gears. (three gears in all, they all 3 break) The Honda dealers are actually keeping the gears in stock at most locations because of the prevalence of them breaking.

Even more so with modified CRF150's.

I feel Honda already made the right call.........

Again, it's possible, but do you really want to spend all the time and $$$$$$. Batteries are WAY cheaper and easier to install (no case splitting necessary). The CRF230 tranny is the strongest yet to grace these engines.Invest in a battery tender if you don't ride for awhile. One of my CRF230's is still going strong on its original battery(they both are).

I bought the bike new in 10-2002.

Hey, I sacrificed nothing in the durability or reliabilty dept. by adding a kickstarter. Quite the opposite. I have never and will never go into the deep woods on a bike that has no means of starting other than a button. That is not a smart design on Hondas part. My CRF-250X has both? I guess it is compromised because of it? I installed the kicker for backup, meaning it never has been used, but is there if I need it. Try bump starting a 230 in the mud or at the bottom of a hill. If Honda had put both kick and electric on the 230, everyone of you would be tickled pink instead of posting negative jealousy about those that have it. My battery has never failed either, but when it does, I will not waste a minute getting back on my minute.

Coming from the swamps of Mississippi, I can see why you'd want a kicker...

But, if Honda had put both a kick start and electric start the beast would weigh another 20 lbs!

I'll take the e-start anyday!

:naughty:

Coming from the swamps of Mississippi, I can see why you'd want a kicker...

But, if Honda had put both a kick start and electric start the beast would weigh another 20 lbs!

I'll take the e-start anyday!

Hey, You are correct about my worries in the woods, but it only added 2.3 pounds to my bike. It weighs 210 w/gas and all oils. The cost and time is not for most people and I understand that. Honda should have done it. I find it to be the only flaw w/the 230 engine. I love my setup. Clint

The fact that the new CRF was e-start only was initially a concern for me. I also had visions of a dead battery in the worst of conditions. Honda could have made the CRF230 with both e-start AND kickstart, thats a no brainer. The most probable reason they did not, is because there isn't enough room inside the existing lower end to do it with the added loads the increased displacement and torque puts on the transmission. Honda engineers calculated that the added displacement and torque that was going to be generated by the 230 was too much for the already problematic XR200 6 speed.

As I've mentioned in other posts, the easiest course of improvement for transmission reliability was to ditch the kickstart gears and make the best of the added room available with them (kickstart gears)out of the way. This was obviously much less expensive than designing an all new engine for this bike.

I'm certain that if someone wanted to do a poll, we would see that many more XR200 and CRF150 owners have broken either their transmissions and /or kickstart gears than CRF230 owners have had a battery or starter fail.

I know of two people personally that have lost kickstart gears with STOCK CRF150's!! I can only hope that Honda will address this problem ASAP.

I will lend this tip: When kicking over these bikes, try NOT to keep all your weight on the kickstarter when it hits bottom. Try to anticipate the engine kicking back, and if it does, allow it to somewhat by easing up some on the kick lever. Applying all your might on the lever and not allowing for some recoil will put more stress on the mechanism, and shortening the life of the kickstart gears. Good luck!

Hey, I sacrificed nothing in the durability or reliabilty dept. by adding a kickstarter. Quite the opposite. I have never and will never go into the deep woods on a bike that has no means of starting other than a button. That is not a smart design on Hondas part. My CRF-250X has both? I guess it is compromised because of it? I installed the kicker for backup, meaning it never has been used, but is there if I need it. Try bump starting a 230 in the mud or at the bottom of a hill. If Honda had put both kick and electric on the 230, everyone of you would be tickled pink instead of posting negative jealousy about those that have it. My battery has never failed either, but when it does, I will not waste a minute getting back on my minute.

hey, you happen to know a kid about 15-17 that races in motocross and hare scramble on his tricked kx85????? his # is 739....

Hey, I promote a AMA santioned, SERA Hare Scramble here on the place and that is definately a SERA transponder#. I looked at this year's points standings and failed to find the #. I will look through my last years paperwork and it should be there. I think it is Tristan R. This year's H/S is coming up July 10th. You related to him? You can check out my flyer at the Southern Enduro Riders Association website. Clint ISTR