Sign in to follow this  

Propane, who has seen it on two wheels?

Okay.

I think that it would be a good thing to run a bike on propane. Its cheaper, safer, easier to use, more efficient (although it doesn't have as much energy stored as gas), easier to tune, far less moving parts, and cleaner. The down side is getting the propane easily. Not exactly on every street corner.

I love that. The octane rating of gas is 98 at best at the pump but propane which is 110-120 add is actually hard to light sometimes (how many times have you really stood at that grill for a while), is unsafe. ??? The definition of Octane Rating is the ability to withstand being lit. Lower is more unstable.

Pressure is around 100 to 200 Psi max. How much does the braking system produce? Tank are more than 3/16" thick steel that is double seem welded, and that is the kind that holds your grill gas, vehicles are held to much higher standards. I would rather wreck with 5 gallons of compressed gas in a metal tank than loose gas in a plastic tank between my legs.

I guess the long and short answer to my thread is, No.

:naughty: plastic doesn't produce a spark when you hit the rocks, Metal does!!! :naughty:

My BBQ has 2 wheels.

This is the best use for propane.

I believe you have to burn a higher quantity and use larger jets than with gasoline.

I have yet to see a propane tank that was shaped to fit the frame of a motorcycle. A full cylinder isn't going to fit too well. And people complained about old Yamaha WR tanks!

The thing to do is start from scratch, build a perimiter frame with lots of stiffness, then use the space in the frame as the tank- just like an XR dry-sump system.

Dave

I think I would be more concerned about my nuts being frozen off in the event of a punctured tank. You dont want to mess with that stuff.

My buddy has a propane tank in the bed of his f350. Works well going up the grades to the river. Only time he turns it on. NO NO for the motorcycle. Way TOO DANGEROUS. But give it a try and post what burn unit your at and we'll visit ya!

I would love to try it if the funds would agree with it. Maybe in the future. More money than I can spend on just trying to see how well it would works. I KNOW it works GREAT in an off-road 4 wheeling application. But got hit with the same type of questions when it was first used.

To the questions and comments:

Yes, you have to burn more propane than gas to get the same amount of energy. It has about 91% of the energy gas does.

No jets or other metering devise other than a pressure diaphram that gives X amount of gas for X amount of air flow. Is far more accurate than most carbs. The gas is already a gas when it gets mixed with the air so it simplifies the process.

I have had liquid propane stray on me before. It is cold but far from something out of Terminator 2. Easily able to just move my hand without being injured.

One more time propane 110-120 octane, gas 87-93 common octane, meaning gas is ~30% EASIER to ignite.

Any pressure tank that doesn't melt because of a patrolum (sp?) product con be fitted to hold propane. It is a low pressure type application about 150psi. Less than an arisol can. Not like O2 under 2500psi which can cut steel. A scube tank could work and it would be about the same capacity as one of our little go-juice tanks.

A one-of frame would be the way to go but not as a tank itself (that would be a little scary) but for fitting the tank and motor better. I would use the frame to help protect the tank though. There is a lot less stuff to a propane set-up.

Another thing that I was thinking about last night is that you could use a fiberglass tank which would reduce weight and the sparking issue. Propane is like 3lb a gallon to the gas at 8lb a gallon. Give or take.

Most carb applications are so far off of a good mixture that an improvement in power is noticed when switching to propane. I know this would be true for my S, it is really lean from the factory. See how well propane works for diesel with power.

My grill does have two wheels. :naughty: :naughty: