The Better Yzf 250

just wondering what others thought about this........ you got 2 generations ..kinda... of the yzf 250.... 2000-20002, and then 2003- present... obviously most everyone with say the 2003-present are better due to the auto-decompression..... but are there some sweet spots the the 2000-2002 generation? is it really that different?.. just wondering... thanks

There's not really 2 generations. The bike gets a little better every year so the newer the better. The changes are minimal from year to year.

the difference between an 02 and an 03 is like night and day. After riding an 02 for a year and then getting an 03, one single ride convinced me the 02 was truly a tank compared to the 03. Not a lot of difference between the 03 and the 04, and a big big improvement with the 05 because of the forks.

I fully expect the 06 to make all previous years seem like crap compared to it.

hey now, my 5 season old Blue Midget Racer don't like being called crap.

neither does the 5 season old valves and clutch plates!!! :naughty:

hey now, my 5 season old Blue Midget Racer don't like being called crap.

neither does the 5 season old valves and clutch plates!!! :naughty:

Here Here :naughty:

yeah thats what i figured as well..... there is a big difference between 2002-2003

There was considerable weight lost in the frame in '03. Otherwise, just refinements, one after another. The '03 had the new bodywork with the flatter seat, so there was a lot happening at once there.

the yz250 lost 6 pounds going to the aluminum frame. The yz250f stands to lose just as much too. The 06 will impress everyone, and convince even those that think their own crap doesnt stink that it really does. :naughty:

the yz250 lost 6 pounds going to the aluminum frame. The yz250f stands to lose just as much too. The 06 will impress everyone, and convince even those that think their own crap doesnt stink that it really does. :naughty:

Yamaha didn't take all of that weight from the 2-stroke off of the frame, they got maybe a pound or two from the frame.other weight was shaved from the swingarm and little stuff. i don't expect to see a major weight savings in the '06. and what is so impressive about an overly rigid perimeter frame? it's going to be like a honda painted blue. i don't see why yamaha doesn't go with the same aluminum backbone frame that they used on the 2-stroke. i posted a thread on this topic and people seem to think that the new frame will help yamaha boost its sales, and and make it handle more like the honda. i guess what i'm trying to say is, don't get your hopes up too high. :naughty: just my opinion.

im not sayin ta get your hopes up but the YZF hasnt been redesigned in quite a bit, and ive heard its gettin the engine redesign in 06 (and maybe the al frame) if it happens ill be wantin a new bike :naughty:

I think that yamaha is cutting corners to save weight, yes, but the parts they are basically shaving are making those parts less reliable I think. They reduce the size and thickness which reduces weight but also makes them more prone to damage. So I think the newer the bike the lighter and more flickable they may be but think of it this way yamaha is selling less of a bike for more money each year. I payed $4800 for my 2002 yz250f brand new, the 05's sell for what I think about $5600.

the difference between 05 is that they added more engiene power (topend) or something..

are the new frames double walled? were the old frames, .. actually are any frames?