Sign in to follow this  

Gives our sport a bad name

Nice track... If he took time to build it, it should stay.... They should think about it..... Is it hurting anyone? one less person to worry about raping on the streets... They don't think about it that way... DO they?

That's unreal. I can't believe someone would have the nerve to bring a bulldozer into a reserve. I can see riding there, I mean there isn't a person here who's never trespassed on their dirtbikes, but build a track there? Yeah that is pretty bad, I was trying to look for a good side, I don't want to say it but yes it does make this sport look bad.

ya but people might start over generalizing by thinking all dirtbike riders are this way

Yeah it is a nice track!

It wasn't until I saw:

"Fish and Game biologist David Lawhead said the reserve is home to a wide variety of plant and animal species, including rare species such as the Hermes copper butterfly" :naughty:

That I realized the magnitude of what they did!

Shame on them! :naughty:

Before everyone gets their panties in a twist!

Is the preserve designated with signs?

Is this an adjacent piece pf property/connected to private propert where folks ride?

I'm not into Band-Wagons.

I've seen way too much mis-representation in the papers to take up sides w/ this lil' tid-bit of "Daily News".

Yes! A track in a preserve ain't a good thing!

However, anytime I see the quotes from the folks at "Natures Conservancy" or "Earth Discovery Institute" or...worse yet..."Wildlife Conservation Board"...I know I'm looking at a bunch of Lobbyist Green-Sticker Fund Killers!

That is kinda sad, because Corral Canyon- an OHV park, which is my favorite riding place is just a few miles east of there.

It's a big place with great single track riding, and lot's of space, and oh so close to this. There's nothing wrong with sharing the land.

That's unreal. I can't believe someone would have the nerve to bring a bulldozer into a reserve. I can see riding there, I mean there isn't a person here who's never trespassed on their dirtbikes, but build a track there? Yeah that is pretty bad, I was trying to look for a good side, I don't want to say it but yes it does make this sport look bad.

read it again...

it didn't start out as a reserve...

The reserve was created four years ago following negotiations with the Gatlin Corp., which had approval to build a 92-lot subdivision on part of the property.

from the article, it sounds to me a housing develolpment was created, and the seciton of land now considered "a reserve" was an unofficial but known riding area before the houses were built.

I am sure they built the houses and sectioned off the riding area as a "reserve" so the housing development could have some green space.

I bet the track was built before the houses were and the section land marked as a "reserve".

how many trees cut and animal haibitat taken away to put those houses in? but were the bad ones because we are now riding a supposedly "reservered" area.

I think the whole thing stinks. yeah, it's an illegal riding area, but this sort of thing is happening all over the place. unoffical riding areas that were once in the middle of nowhere and nobody cared about are feeling the squeze of urban sprawl. we are being considered criminals for riding the same land are parents werre allowed to ride when they were kids.

If animals are a concern then a bill should be passed to clone endangered animals.... Problem solved

I wish people wouldn't do stupid crap like that, makes the rest of us look bad

true, it does make motocross look bad (people already hate fmx enough). i dont care that the people made the track, it looks awesome. lets see how many acres of reserves there are in california, then see how many acres that track takes up, my guess is not even one. they should just leave it there, it is probably 1 or 2 kids having a good time, but then again you have to think of the incredible danger it causes for the butterflies

you guys might be jumping to conclusions...

there is no proof that that track did not exist before the area was marked as a "reserve".

the article states it was a known riding area before the housing development was put in and the land in question was marked as a reserve.

it doesn't make sense that people could build a track with bulldozers near a housing development and get away with it. my guess is that track has always been there and is just now getting noticed by the state/county.

Ouch ...... that kind of stuff really hurts :naughty::naughty::D

you guys might be jumping to conclusions...

there is no proof that that track did not exist before the area was marked as a "reserve".

the article states it was a known riding area before the housing development was put in and the land in question was marked as a reserve.

it doesn't make sense that people could build a track with bulldozers near a housing development and get away with it. my guess is that track has always been there and is just now getting noticed by the state/county.

it could have been, but i have jumps that i havent fixed for a year and they are f***ed, so if it was there for 4 years or whatever they are in good condition. unless someone came and touched them up every once and a while. but it could have been there for a long time, nobody really knows where my ramps, track and trails are so it is possible, but then again i dont live on a reserve. but how could they be so disrespectful to the poor butterflies :naughty:

Its a confusing topic. When I read the line "The land, part of which had been slated for a housing development, was set aside in 1999 to preserve a spot of wilderness amid East County's growth." it says that part of that area is planned to be used as a housing development. It sounds like what we face around here all the time. Areas are closed to dirt bike/ATV/4x4 use because it tears up the land, then a year or two later that same exact spot is being levelled to put in a shopping mall, housing development, etc. I moved almost 200 miles north of where I grew up because I thought things would be more lenient up this far north. But up here all the dirt roads are closed for "mud season" all spring, and in the eummer we can't ride on most trails. But then the same "pristine" areas are used by the logging industry, cutting 90% of the trees over hundreds of acres. But WE are the ones who tear up the environment. Sure.

They like to use the buzz-words of the day, talking about habitat destruction, rare species, etc., but that didn't stop the Nature Conservancy from cashing in on housing lots and development. When a group such as that one buys a piece of land and develops it, they are doing a public service when they sell off land, level it for housing lots, and make profits from development. But if you or I bought the same land and wanted to use it for an OHRV park, sell off building lots, etc., we would be evil, selfish, cruel people for profiting from the destruction of an environmental area.

So yea, it was wrong for riders to use the area because thats not what it was intended for. But maybe the tree-huggers and animal nazis should think about leaving designated OHRV areas and trails alone before they go on the next protest or land grab crusade.

Jim

nhdsrider, my thoughts exactly!!! :naughty::naughty:

we have this happening all over the place in WA with the current urban sprawl.

the state and counties will authorize mass stripping of forest in favor of large oversized track housing. suddenly, these housing developments are backing to riding areas that have existed for +30 years. they may or may not be official, legitimate areas, but still.

i wonder if the hippies are going to use a dozer to level the thing.

that'd be some rich ironing

good point.

we need to turn this around, those are not jumps, they are habitats for rabbits, squirrels and other animals. I am calling now to protest.

I think if this place was such a hot riding spot, they should let it be. If its too dusty for the kid buy them a PS2 or a dirtbike no one cares about their bogas storie. Why don't the tree huggers just leave us alone and not mess with our land? Because theyre idiots. (not the normal word I would use)

Whats better houses all through taking all trees down and "hurting" the animals habitat or a few trails and such going through the woods where people mind they're own buisness and want to just ride.