Sign in to follow this  

Another Newbie, Need opinions please!

Hello,

After years of layoff I am going to get back into riding. Nothing too serious, just some fun trails in the Colorado Mountains.

I have 3 bikes to invest in so help me out here.

I am 5'6" 165 lbs, and have my heart set on a KLX300R.

My wife is 5'5" and 120lbs, I was thinking of a KLX125 for her.

My son is 14, 5'9" and 140lbs, and I am not sure what to get him in. His riding experience is novice, but I want to buy a bike he can grow into quickly. Possibly a KLX250? And he is not done growing!!!!

Please let me know what you think of my choices.

Thanks,

Joe

Its not what your son will grow into,,,,but how long before he will grow out of? My 13 y/o is riding a KLX 300 without any trouble, I made the mistake of buying him something that he out grew in 2 weeks last time (TTR-125L). The KLX will be fine till he can buy his own. Then I want it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you are on the right track for the most part. I am 5'6" and weigh 135. I just got a new klx and couldn't be more happy. My wife who is 5'1", 125 lbs., we just bought her the klx 125 and she loves it. She can touch fairly well and is great for her because she can put around with our six year old while I go get into the more technical stuff. As far as your son, get the klx and leave it stock until he needs more (either the 250 or 300). Then you can always do some of the mods to it and should suffice depending on how far he, and you, want him to go (IMHO).

I have a KLX300 which is actually the same size as the 250 just a bigger engine. Im also 14 about 5'7 and abou 130 pounds. I have mine mainly set up for racing the trails but i am going to up it to a 340 soon. In like a week or so. I woud recomend the 300.

See if you can find your wife a DRZ125L. Same as the KLX125L, but I really like the color scheme better. You can get parts for it at your Kawi dealer cause they are the same. I'm guessing your wife will like the looks better also. With the pastrana graphics that come with it, it is probably the coolest LOOKING bike I've owned in a while. Really sweet looking. I was sad to see it go when my youngest son outgrew it. I think you are on track with the 2 KLX300's for you and your son. That's what we have. My oldest son (then 14) outgrew his XR200 in about 2 months. He was bashing the crap out of it. I got him a KLX300, and now it's a 340 and though he's almost 18, it's still a great bike for him. Also, it's nice being able to get spares and have the same thing work for both bikes. Really a money saver. Good luck. Bill

Thanks Bill, I am an old Suzuki man so the DRZ is an option. I am going to take my wife to the dealers this weekend and she can pick out what she wants.

This is a great website. Lots of good info here.

thanks again

Keep in mind the DRZ is taller and quite a bit heavier. My friend and I were riding one Friday and we had two guys, both on DRZ400's join up with us on the trail, and they both commented that after watching my KLX manuever through a rocky uphill section, that they wished they would have bought the KLX300 instead.

If you plan to ride in wide open areas, the DRZ is probably a good bike, but from what I've seen in some of the dirt bike magazines, Colorado has some awsome hilly terrain loaded with rocks and trees. If that's the riding you'll be doing, you won't regret getting a KLX. Check around this site and PlanetKLX and also KLXZone for mods you can do to a KLX to wake it up! :naughty:

I'm working on following Bill with a second KLX for my 15yo son. He's on a TTR125L now and my 12yo is on a TTR90. My 12yo isn't big enough yet to ride the 125 yet so we're holding off for a little while. I let my 15yo ride my KLX sometimes when we're out trail riding and he doesn't want to give it back until I catch him. :naughty:

Dave,

Sounds like a good plan. I showed my wife the picture of the KLX and she is all for it. So it looks like a team green family comming soon.

We plan to ride the open areas to get our skills up, but the mountains are calling. So the weight of the bike is a deffinate issue.

i am a 5'7" 145 lb male, i am surprised to see that there are people on here saying that they are riding the 250's and 350's that are my size or even smaller!! i was always worried to ride one cause the seat hight is 36" and my inseem is only 30" ....i didnt think my feet would touch the ground!! how do u do it? i was shopping for a new bike for off road trail and open field joy riding...should i look at the KLX300 or KDX200/220? also i know that this is a KLX thread, but i looked at the stats for the yamaha WR250F and there amazing! lighter than the kawasaki's and with titanium valves.... or should i just stick with the smaller easy to handle 125's?

The WR is seriously higher than a KLX. If you think the KLX is too tall, the WR will be much taller still. Why don't you stop by your dealer and sit on one. Keep in mind that the suspension will "settle down" a bit as it breaks in.

I guess I am lucky. I have a 30" inseam as well. But it must be my big feet, I could touch with both tip toes when I first got my klx. Now that it has settled in some it is better.

i cant sit on one cause i am in Kuwait! ha ha i get back in 2 weeks. i was shopping around and i wanted to have my choice narrowed down or made for when i get back. i wanted a quick go and buy and take it home. what do ya think?

i am a 5'7" 145 lb male, i am surprised to see that there are people on here saying that they are riding the 250's and 350's that are my size or even smaller!! i was always worried to ride one cause the seat hight is 36" and my inseem is only 30" ....i didnt think my feet would touch the ground!! how do u do it? i was shopping for a new bike for off road trail and open field joy riding...should i look at the KLX300 or KDX200/220? also i know that this is a KLX thread, but i looked at the stats for the yamaha WR250F and there amazing! lighter than the kawasaki's and with titanium valves.... or should i just stick with the smaller easy to handle 125's?

I wouldn't be overly concerned about not being able to touch the ground. I am 5'-6" and can only touch the ground with one foot on my KLX 300. Its pretty much been that way on every bike I have owned and I don't think it affects my riding ability any.

I have read about people having their suspension lowered a bit. That seems like a waste of money to me, and it might negatively affect the performance of the suspension. However, that is an option if you think whatever bike you get is too tall.