Sign in to follow this  

Lubing swing arm

I saw Mar's tech tips on this, but when I looked at my Clymer manual, it showed grease nipples. I don't see any on my bike. Do I remove all the bolts to grease them? And if so, how do I actually grease them?

Thanks.

SOLER

Older XR's had grease zirks, new ones don't. Yes, you simply remove the swingarm and shock linkage to grease the bearings. I wipe out as much old grease as possible, clean the bearings with gas and a brush then hose out with brake clean. I blow dry them with a heat gun to evaporate out all the solvent then pack with fresh marine grade water proof/resistant wheel bearing grease.

I am definitely doing this to mine on the next disassembly. It is idiotic to have to take apart the swing arm for a few finger swipes of grease.

:naughty:

You can zirk it yourself too, here's some pics...

[/url]

Awesome. That's what I'm going to do. Glad I found this site.

SOLER

When installing the zerk fittings do you have to drill through the outer bearing race?

If not do you have to remove the seals from the bearings on order to get grease into the bearings.

Thanks.

When installing the zerk fittings do you have to drill through the outer bearing race?

If not do you have to remove the seals from the bearings on order to get grease into the bearings.

Thanks.

No, your drill hole for the zirk will go right in between the 2 bearing collars. After it goes thru the swingarm it goes to a cylindrical air pocket which is surrounded by the 2 bearings on the sides, by the swingarm bolt at the inner and by the swingarm housing at the outer.

When I add more grease I dont have to remove the seals, I just loosen the swingarm bolt, push it in a bit, then put the grease to it.

Here's one more tip - I think using 45 degrees zirks give you the best access from this location on the bike, but theres a trick to getting them so that they point outward when they are fully seated. When I put in my 45 degree zirks I did 2 practice drill and tap sessions on an old piece of stock aluminum. I kept track of where the rotation of the tap entered the hole, and then the rotation that the 45 degree zirk ended up when it was fully tightened. I used that to find the rotation that the tap should go in at, so that the zirk would be pointing in the right direction when it was fully tightened (or close to that).

Good luck ! :naughty: