Sign in to follow this  

IMS 3.2 Tank- not really

I took a standard thinner can and emptied it, rinsed it with gasoline and proceeded to fill my empty 3.2 IMS white fuel tank. It on an '05 450 EXC.

The first gallon brought the fuel level up to the top of the square aluminum subframe (8-3/4") from the flat bottom next to the fuel valve. The next gallon took the fuel level up to the bottom of the vertical line- just behind the tank cap opening (11-3/4"). The last gallon did not even fit. I filled it to 1" below the top of the tank cap opening. I then poured 40 ounces remaining from the one gallon can.

128 oz X .7 = 89.6 oz ( I figured 88 oz a little below the filler cap). 2.7 gallons

This is not a problem for me. That's all I really thought I would need.

The question is: Have other KTM riders found this to be true?

If you have different results and feel you're right, I'll give in right now.

After the oil change and the gas measuring, the bike looks more like Exxon Valdez than an EXC. I still need to remove and measure all the fuel when I get finished riding tomarrow.

Are you sure its a 3.2 gallon tank? On the IMS website, it shows it as a 3.1. This is very interesting as I'm trying to decide between the IMS tank and the Clarke tank. Hope someone has a definite answer.

I think you're right it was 3.1. You're a shopper for tanks right now. Does it make a difference to you if it only contains 2.7 gallons vs. the 3.1 or 3.2 they advertise.

From what I read of tanks, Clarke tanks will better accept a fan under them than the IMS. Older Clarke tanks stain orange. I'm sure IMS will after a while, riders say it is not as bad. I have not heard of anyone claiming Clarke tanks hold less fuel than they claim.

2.7-2.9 seems to be the correct range for the IMS tanks even though they advertise over 3. I had/have IMS tanks on both my 01 400E and 03 450E and both were in the 2.8-2.9 range measured at a gas station pump.

I actually have a clarke 3.2 for sale right now...I will measure how much it holds this weekend and report back on my findings.

Mitch

I actually have a clarke 3.2 for sale right now...I will measure how much it holds this weekend and report back on my findings.

Mitch

What kind of bike is it coming off of? What's the condition of it?

Edit: Nevermind, I saw it in the For Sale section and it won't fit my bike :naughty:

2.7-2.9 seems to be the correct range for the IMS tanks even though they advertise over 3. I had/have IMS tanks on both my 01 400E and 03 450E and both were in the 2.8-2.9 range measured at a gas station pump.

Thanks JEB, I guess if you race long cross country, you would buy the 4-5 gallon tanks that use the radiator shrouds as part of the tank. I don't know why they don't measure the volume more accurately for those of us shopping for a tank. A couple of guys said the reason they would not buy the 3.1 is because it was too large. Little do they know.

This is an old post- but a good place for an update.

I used the tank on one ride before I did this. The two rubber doughnuts that are supposed to fit in the slot are also too narrow. You need to use enough washers or a spacer under each of the existing spacers for the tank lugs to equal about 3/16" (each). You also need to get two metric capscrews (allens) and grind down the heads slightly to fit in the doughnut and away from the tank surface. They should be 2" in length. This will allow the tank to fit lower and the radiator guards to fit without alot of pulling and twisting to get the bottom bolt in the radiator. Small wonder why the seat was a bear to fit, and the guards wouldn't line up.

IMS did not provide any padding for the Tank to the bike's backbone.

For backbone padding, go to your ripoff big box hardware store and purchase the little clear self sticking squares with the flat tops for an exorbitant rate and apply several of them on the top of the backbone. They allow the center bolt to fit properly and the tank to ride on a decent cushion.