peg balance- standing- charging!

One thing I am working on these days is a quick uphill that I like to rev out a bit. When I stand I am still being pulled by the bike from my arms. Part of it is conditioning but a huge part is balance on the pegs. Any tips? I am trying to train myself to instinctively rock forward while standing and have the pegs push me rather than get my arms ripped out and look like a squid hunched over. I know Berkeman has posted some great info. on standing up. Thanks Mike it's helping me out I just need to get it to click. :naughty:

You're supposed to clamp the bike with your legs, not hold onto it with your hands.

Clamp hard with your legs, stay forward, and don't stand too tall. Watch the fastest guys and you can see how low and forward they are when standing in an attack position. Usually, their chins less than 12 inches above the crossbar. If you stand too tall and lean too far back, your body weight creates alot more leverage on your hands at the bars.

One thing I am working on these days is a quick uphill that I like to rev out a bit. When I stand I am still being pulled by the bike from my arms. Part of it is conditioning but a huge part is balance on the pegs. Any tips?

I know what you mean. When I'm pinned on the steeper hills, even when I'm standing all the way forward with my abs on the crossbar, my balance is still a bit behind the bike. I don't think there is any alternative there but to hold on some with your knees to save your arms. On my CRF450 it's a little hard to use your knees in that position, though, because the plastic radiator shrouds are spreading out there. But sometimes I can wedge my knees into the ventilation holes in the shrouds, and that helps to hold on some. Luckily that's only a small part of the track, and you can go back to better peg balance for most of the rest of the track to avoid pumping up your arms. Maybe if I had the handlebars without the crossbar.....:naughty: