Trouble With Graphics

Have you ever had your graphics bubble up on your gas tank? This is a brand new kit I just got from NStyle and the graphic wont stay down. Everytime I push it on, the next day I come out and there are huge bubbles under the sticker. Do you think its because they put all the cuts on this decal? This isnt the first kit I have put on, and yes I did prep the tank real good before I stuck the graphic on. Any ideas on how to make it stick good?

Here is a pic of the decal http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/02YZ426/100_0600.jpg

No it's not because of the slits. Alot of graphics have those. It's just that puttin' on graphics and backgrounds stinks. I HATE to do that job. But the more you do it the better it gets. You just have to be VERY careful, slow and take your time. You cannot get in a hurry.

I'm sure you'll have a million posts tellin' you how to do it. (not that you don't know already)

Sorry man. I feel your pain.

Those slits have actually the purpose to let the plastic tank breath and prevent bubbles. My friends YZF400 has the same problem with bubbles and not very well sticking decals.

Problem is the plastic tank itself. They leak or more breath and those fumes get trapped underneath the sticker causing it to bubble up. If those slits are too tight they don't let these fumes out. I don't know why but these plastic tanks let the gasoline fumes out faster as they penetrate the decals.

It might help if you keep your tank filled up to the top. I noticed that on my sons PW plastic tank where I put just regular Yamaha stickers on. Whenever it gets half empty (below the stickers) they start to bubble. If I fill it up they slowly disappear.

You might also want to re-cut or open up those slits to give that gas fumes a chance to vent before the sticker buckels up but honestly I think you can't get completely rid of it.

I am still struggling with myself to invest in decals for my XR 4 gal IMS tank knowing of these bubbling problems. I don't know what would look better, a bare tank or one with sticker and bubbles in it. :naughty:

Det

So do you think if I get new decals, they will do the same thing? I often wondered if it was the fumes bubbling the graphic because I know I put it on right. But why did the stock graphics I ripped off the tank stick on there so good?

So do you think if I get new decals, they will do the same thing? I often wondered if it was the fumes bubbling the graphic because I know I put it on right. But why did the stock graphics I ripped off the tank stick on there so good?

I asked the same question when I discovered these bubbles on my sons PW. The original PW stickers on that '94 model bike didn't have a single bubble and were a pain to get off. Well they faded and where scratched up but still stuck like crazy.

I looked at the OEM stickers, I think these two PW logos were $56, or was that each - not sure but I thought ridiculous expensive.

And same thing with my XR, everyone says those plastic tanks and decals is a problem. I haven't even tried it yet... but whatever I've seen all aftermarket decal sets have either way slits or holes to let it vent.

I have no clue why they are not able to make it out of this special OEM vinyl that seems to hold without all these puncture tricks.

If I look at your picture it looks more extrem as on my friends YZ. But still, he has those single stripes of decals between the slits twist a little bit and get loose.

Maybe your heat gun did the rest to completely gum up these slits by softening the glue and squeezing it out and into those slits? Just a guess...

I can feel with you how annoying that must be. I certainly would be pi--ed!!

I have the same problem with mine i use a heat gun when it gets to out of hand . When the corners come up I use renthal grip glue to hold it down. I have a gytr factory yamaha kit waiting to go on if it starts acting up again . Good luck.

How did that grip glue work? Did it hold the decal down good after you put some on? When I put the graphics on, the tank was empty. I spent the extra time to clean the tank real good, so I wouldn't have trouble with the sticker. At first it stuck real good, but then to my surprise about a week later, I went out to the garage to find it lifting in the corners and huge air bubbles unerneath. The pic I posted was after I pushed it back down. When I get home from work, I will post another of what it looks like after it sits a day. Just look at the differance.