Sign in to follow this  

Leaking Forks On 05 Anybody?

Just wondering if anybody is experiencing leaking fork seals on their 05 yet. We have an 05 YZ250F with about 15 hours on it and we're noticing some slight leakage on both forks. A buddy has an 05 YZ125 (same forks) with the same amount of hours on it and he actually had a little puddle of fork oil under his bike after sitting for a few hours. I know that these forks are new for Yamaha this year and was just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this.

pull the ring down and look for grease under it. I am getting the feeling some of the 05's never got greased under there. It should be packed solid.

Mine wasn't greased, at least under the wiper. I think I have a slight leak, but its not runny, just a film

chances are there is dirt trapped in the seal then. The grease is used to try and trap the dirt before it gets stuck in the seal.

Try cleaning them real good with camera film, or you can cut a plastic soda bottle and use it to wipe under the seal too. Than pack it really good with moly grease, pack it until it squeezes out when you put the slider in.

If and when you have problems again, give Synergy Seals a call. These seals are a new breed and have the likes of Ty Davis, Eric DuCray, Kyle Krause and more.

Good Luck, Rob

Thanks, and it works very well. It saves all kinds of room and performs just like the can setups at a 1/4 of the price.

Rob

Just wondering if anybody is experiencing leaking fork seals on their 05 yet. We have an 05 YZ250F with about 15 hours on it and we're noticing some slight leakage on both forks. A buddy has an 05 YZ125 (same forks) with the same amount of hours on it and he actually had a little puddle of fork oil under his bike after sitting for a few hours. I know that these forks are new for Yamaha this year and was just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this.

my left fork leaked on my 05 250f and my brothers bike(20 hours). I did not have time to check why this happened so I took straight to the dealer and had them fix it.

05 yz250f

dr. d pipe proper jetting :naughty:

pro tapers

asv levers

black plastics with black 03 graphics

pull the ring down and look for grease under it. I am getting the feeling some of the 05's never got greased under there. It should be packed solid.

True, clean it first then put some lithium grease in there. Do this every sand or mud race otherwise after every wash. :naughty:

My forks have been dribbling off and on. I've been attributing it to the fact that I got the bike in December, and rode in a lot of black-clay mud.

I've been greasing my dust seals, and cleaning out the oil seal with film, and they slow or stop leaking for one ride before they're weeping again.

Maybe there's something to this though.

~Tex

'05 YZF

Well, I went to a practice tonight and decided to venture about and I checked out a very cool YZ250 with the new frame. Guess what they were doing? Yep, running film around the seals, trying to fix a leak. My bet is there is a real problem here. By the way, no oily mess during my ride tonight. My take, and I am not an expert, is that the wipers are not that great, and they're allowing too much to get to the oil seal. I guess I will try the constant grease approach. As I look at them, they weem to be lining themselves with dirt. I didn't notice that on the old KYB's. But again, I am no expert.

I have the the Velcro version of the sea savers and they work great. I was having a problem with leaky fork seals every ride until I put the seal savers on. Just take them off every ride and clean and re grease under the fork wipers and I don't think you should have any more leaking problems.

I have the the Velcro version of the sea savers and they work great. I was having a problem with leaky fork seals every ride until I put the seal savers on. Just take them off every ride and clean and re grease under the fork wipers and I don't think you should have any more leaking problems.

I cant tell did they actually stop the forks from leaking? Or are you using them as diapers? :naughty:

I did not see any velcro versions on the seal saver website. Which ones do you have? I would also like to get a set that I can remove after each ride to wash them out. The seal saver brand can only be removed by taking the forks off the bike. :naughty: