unsure.

:naughty: Just got in the dirt bike world and is kind of unsure which bike to get for myself.I have in mind two bike and they are 98 WR400 and 00 ktm200....Both bike i think are great for trail riding but i would want to know which would handle better and be more reliable.Thanks.

They are both good bikes, but very different. It's subjective, they KTM is lighter and a 2-stroke. The WR is a somewhat top heavy four stroke, but has great power. Your riding style will dictate the amount of maintenance. If you change the oil frequently, check the valve clearance regularly, the WR will last a long time. With the KTM being a 2-stroke, maintenance is relatively easy as there are no valves to check, but you have to pre-mix and will need to change the top-end more frequently.

Hope this helps....

Greenhorn, I have an 05 WR450 and love it. But I have also ridden 2 strokes most of my life. My personal feelings are that you would be better of on the KTM. Top ends on a 2 stroke are cheap and easy and KTM 2 stroke top ends last forever, so if it relativly fresh when you get it, no problems.

It would be a great starting point to learn about the maintenance and other wrenching duties before you get in too deep. The if you decide you want a 4 stroke you will have a better appreciation of what's involved to keep her happy.

Just my .02 but I think it would make your dirt bike life begin a little easier.

Bud

I've ridden both and currently have an 05 WR450F. The KTM is a sweet machine it is easier to go fast on the Katoom in tight gnarly stuff. The Yamaha was my pick for a new bike because it does everything well and can really rip when the trail opens up. I also wanted a 4-stroke for long rides where taking on fuel doesn't involve mixing.

Thanks a lot for all your reply.I would oso like to find out fm u guys out there if both the bike have gd after market support i.e wr 400 can be mod to be a yz 400.One more ting i would like to find out is whether 2 stoke will be face out soon and they will stop producing parts for them?

Thanks a lot for all your reply.I would oso like to find out fm u guys out there if both the bike have gd after market support i.e wr 400 can be mod to be a yz 400.One more ting i would like to find out is whether 2 stoke will be face out soon and they will stop producing parts for them?

They both have good aftermarket. I'd be willing to bet a little more with the WR. As for the end of 2 strokes. They are slated to go away after 2006 with the exception of the full competition bikes (YZ250, 125, SX etc) is what I heard. And in my state, they will look at how many people ORV regisiter these. Then make some decisions from there. But all existing 2 strokes will always be allowed in the woods. They may do a total cut off, but if they do, anyone owning one prior will be exempt.

Ooo...i c if tats the case it sound like 2 stroke will be the past soon...But is the 4 stroke going to be as agile as the 2 stroke or is there any way which i could convert it into more agile i.e fitting a yz tank,after market exhaust...etc and if i were to be able to convert one will it cost me lots of $$$$....Thanks

The KTM is vey light and nimble compared to the WR but has a kinda funky rear suspention. The WR will never feel as light. I have a YZ seat and tank on my WR

and it was the best investment I could make. I had an FMF megamax silencer

and header but scrapped the silencer and kept the header (easier to change oil filter) You really don't need a loud exhaust and the bike will make more than enough power with all the free mods. I find it is very expensive to buy an after market 4 stroke exhaust and not worth the minamal gain in power but then again I ride tight eastern trails.