Death of my 250X

Last night i was riding with a few of my friends and i was coming into a corner. I pulled in the clutch and shifted down. I got back on the gas but before i could it died. :naughty: I tried so hard to get it started but it wouldn't fire. I ended up role starting but later it stalled. I walked it back to my friends house where we took my baby apart. :naughty: We found nothing. Once it was back together it fired up once and then died doing the same thing as before. I think that it's the clutch and the electronics shorted out. Any Suggestions

Thanks

Did you check:

Gas?

Spark plug firing?

If all the normal stuff is correct:

How many hours do you have on it?

Did you check valve clearances last night?

If not, when did you last check valve clearances?

What were your valve clearance measurements when you last measured?

Well, this morning when i took the bike into the Honda dealership one of the mechanics tried firing it up and it did. I don't know how or why. My friend and i felt really retarded. I took it through a pretty big puddle yesterday. Is it possible that the water caused a short in the electrical parts?

Yes it is, It used to happen on three wheeled cars, where the water on the roads would spray onto the spark plugs and make the engine cut out. obviously the water has dried out/evapourated and then the mechanic has restarted it the next following day. An easy mistake, but you've learned. I am a BMW motorcycle technicain so servay strange things from time to time working on customers motorcycles.

Regards Honda0001

Yes it is, It used to happen on three wheeled cars, where the water on the roads would spray onto the spark plugs and make the engine cut out. obviously the water has dried out/evapourated and then the mechanic has restarted it the next following day. An easy mistake, but you've learned. I am a BMW motorcycle technicain so servay strange things from time to time working on customers motorcycles.

Regards Honda0001

:D:D:D:naughty::naughty:

Well, this morning when i took the bike into the Honda dealership one of the mechanics tried firing it up and it did. I don't know how or why. My friend and i felt really retarded. I took it through a pretty big puddle yesterday. Is it possible that the water caused a short in the electrical parts?

maybe... Water could have got in a vent tube and causrd a no start..alot possible

Our bike died over the weekend, Once it got stone cold it fired, once hot it dies...vavles.

Excuse my typing as I am sedated with a back problem..killing time

Excuse my typing as I am sedated with a back problem..killing time

Did you ever get the bike upstairs :naughty: ?

Something similar happened to my crf250r. Suddenly died, it would fire up then die, fire up then die over and over. It would idle but as soon as you gave it the slightest bit of gas it would die. Tried everything, plug, jets, electric,gas flow.

Long story short: WATER IN THE GAS! It had settled in the bottem of the float bowl and I didn't see it the first time I took the bowl off. I had mixed some pump gas with my race gas and the pump gas must of had some water in it..

Only race gas for my baby from now on.

Can we change the title now to "Reincarnation of my 250X".

I wonder if the blue brigade have had one of those yet ?

I took it through a pretty big puddle yesterday.

That's a pretty important hint. But it doesn't seem that water in the gas would cause the bike to stop running, then crank right up the following day. I suppose it could have been water in the electrical system (ignition or other). Does it seem to run well now?

BTW, if you don't have a record of valve clearances, now's a good time to start.

Did you ever get the bike upstairs :naughty: ?

Nah, Junior is racing my ktm300 until I can get to the CRF.

It may be a while now since, I am waiting for the transport to the hospital. Back has done me in....those MXdays finally caught up with me... :naughty:

No internet in hospital :D

Junior will check what he can...

Weird thing is my bike is running as good as new now. And thats the way I'll keep it. I am going to check the valves tonight.

Thanks everyone for your help!

It may be a while now since, I am waiting for the transport to the hospital. Back has done me in....those MXdays finally caught up with me... :naughty:

No internet in hospital :naughty:

Sorry to hear that, Body. I know it really bites to be down with a painful injury. Keep us posted on your progress.

Water actually will make a bike die, then start up later. It stays in the bottom of the float bowl until something makes it move. Sometimes the only way to remove all of it is to take the tank off and shake it out completely.

Same exact thing happened to my friends 250X on friday. I was in back of him, he went through a puddle, got a little squirrly and stalled after going through. Bike would not start. Used the hot start lever, used e start, kicked it over...and over. Checked that the gas was on, gas was in it etc... It was the vent hose to the gas cap. When he got a little squirrly he somehow kinked the vent hose. Once it was unkinked, she fired right up.

It was the vent hose to the gas cap. When he got a little squirrly he somehow kinked the vent hose. Once it was unkinked, she fired right up.

That's a good one to file away for memory :naughty: .