First Enduro

I'm 44 yrs. old :naughty: ...i ride a 2003 wr450f. May 1st, i'll be doing my first ever enduro at Kalkaska michigan :D . i'm pretty much clueless when it comes to timekeeping, etc. would i be better off signing up for...4-stroke C. or the senior C class ? any opinions ...help...suggestions ..tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated. :naughty::D

If it's your first enduro - it doesn't matter what class you enter. I'm 47 and run enduros here in Ca. - the top C Sen. guys beat the top Vet C guys scores - good luck and have fun. Ride with someone on your min. that knows how to keep time. :naughty:

dp

I'm with dp400.

In your first enduro, it's about learning to timekeep. Everyone rides the same course with the same average speeds. I wouldn't go above the C class too soon. It will give you a chance to ride with A's and B's who can give you an idea of good timekeeping practices. Maybe even some advice.

The Trailtech will replace your odometer, and will help timekeeping in some sense, but it's no replacement for an enduro computer.

Many enduro riders far more experienced than I am usually recommend learning the manual method first, with odo, clock, and rollchart. it takes a few enduros to learn the basics. That will get you in your minute most of the time. Nowadays, enduro classes are often won and lost on seconds. In a club enduro, more than 60 seconds will usually drop you from the top three to about 15th place. That's what an real enduro computer will do for you.

This is a great event !!!! Enjoy the ride but start working your legs. Spend as much time as you can working your legs before you get there. It will be a very long day for you. Keep your pace up and don’t worry if you can’t keep up with others on your minute. Just keep pushing yourself and hope you don’t hour out. It is real low speed stuff and anything you can do to make your bike seem shorter, smaller and turn tighter will be a big help. If I remember the seat on your yamahoper is like a 2x6 without the splinters. You will find yourself spending a lot of time on the seat. Look out for monkey butt.

If you have never riden any enduro at all, I would suggest the family series enduros first. They are at a slower pace and shorter distance (12 & 18 MPH verse 24 MPH). I will be riding with my kids in the family series on Sat. in Kalkaska! I have been riding these types of enduros for a few years now and have learned alot about how an enduro works. I thought about riding the Arbor Day Enduro you are mentioning, but havent got the plate on my bike yet. I'll be stepping it up to ride with the big boys soon ( maybe the Jack Pine in Aug.). Dress warm for this weekend and good luck, I'll be there enjoying the event myself. :naughty:

I'm 44 yrs. old :D ...i ride a 2003 wr450f. May 1st, i'll be doing my first ever enduro at Kalkaska michigan :D . i'm pretty much clueless when it comes to timekeeping, etc. would i be better off signing up for...4-stroke C. or the senior C class ? any opinions ...help...suggestions ..tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated. :D:D

?:naughty::D

Great for you XR, Im turning 43 this year, and have not yet jumped in, Im on the edge of pool though ?. Looks like you got some great advice here. I'll have to check to see if we have family style Enduros for a starter out here. Have fun !!!

-Russ

:naughty:

Thanks for all the replies guys !!! It's friday night, my bikes ready to rock & roll, and my stomaches in a knot. lol. i'm treating this as a learning experience, and i dont expect to do well at all. my goal is just to finish. i'm doing it with 2 other newbies, so it should be interesting. i'll let you know how it all works out.

Well....i'm still alive. lol. as far as the timekeeping, lets just say i've got alotttttt to learn. as far as the course.. IT SUCKED. I can ride whooped out michigan ORV trail any day of the week..for free. this would have been a good oppurtunity for the DNR to have the event right next to the old trail, a new trail would have been made, and the old trail could have been eliminated. there were a few sections of virgin trail, but not much.

Will i do another one ? probably not.

If you have never riden any enduro at all, I would suggest the family series enduros first. They are at a slower pace and shorter distance (12 & 18 MPH verse 24 MPH). I will be riding with my kids in the family series on Sat. in Kalkaska! I have been riding these types of enduros for a few years now and have learned alot about how an enduro works. I thought about riding the Arbor Day Enduro you are mentioning, but havent got the plate on my bike yet. I'll be stepping it up to ride with the big boys soon ( maybe the Jack Pine in Aug.). Dress warm for this weekend and good luck, I'll be there enjoying the event myself. :naughty:

Hey, how'd that enduro go? My friend was in a enduro in Kalkaska on Saturday, so I can only assume that its the same one. He took 3rd place but I don't know if there were seperate classes, his name is Andrew Edison and he rides a XR250. I also am looking to get into Enduros here pretty quick. Andrew said I am a natural at it and I just finally got my first bike.