650 gear mods

I have it in my head to add a gear to my Dr650, any six-speed mods out there? Or perhaps, could anyone let me know how well adding sprockets kicks up the top end?

putting a 6peed trans in your 650 would cost 4x what the bike is worth.

you need to restate you questions a bit better. hard to answer when we don't know what your talking about

I have it in my head to add a gear to my Dr650, any six-speed mods out there? Or perhaps, could anyone let me know how well adding sprockets kicks up the top end?

What do you mean ?

And why should not 5 gears be enough ?

I dont think the dr650 engine would manage to give you any greater top speed with a 6th gear. If you DO want better top speed, or less revs at high speed , why dont just change the sprockets ? A DR650 is not ereally a highway bike anyway - if youre doing a lot of touring check out bikes liker Triumph tiger, DL650 or 1000 V-strom, Honda varadero etc :naughty:

Even smaller bikes with better fairing could be used like Honda Transalp, Africa Twin maybe etc

A 6th gear would cost you (as the post above says) much much more than the bike itself, an new sprocket would cost you max 100-300$, and that would probably include the whole drivetrain with chain and both sprockets unless you have to have one made for you.

Getting both lower gearing, for tricky trails, and higher for highways - does not make any sense to me. The tyrest you'd use would not perform well in both ends anyway - and if you are changing tyres for different events, it'll only take you 10 minutes more to change sprockets as well...

please explain some more of your thinking, or are you just filthy rich ? Why not buy two bikes then instead !? :naughty:

/K