Sign in to follow this  

Left side engine cover removal-HELP!!

Ok so I took off 7 bolts and I guess I have to take off the 3 phillips head bolts to access the 8th bolt, Right? I' can't for the life of me take the phillips head bolts off! I tryed laying my bike down also so I could put more weight on it. AHH, started to strip one bolt bad so I stopped completlely, Any suggestions :naughty:

Spray the crap out of it with a good penetrating lubricant, and let it set for a little while, then try again. If you already tried that, I dunno what to tell you dude, but I've been in similar situations.

Answered in your other post today Here :naughty:

Where you said you wanted to take off the "left side clutch cover" As I said then,, the left side is not the clutch cover.. It is the Gen rotor cover...

So what is it your trying to do? Remove the generator rotor cover (left side) or the right side clutch cover?

The three JIS screws will come out, but you really need an impact screw driver to do it without damage.

yeah... i had to use an impact driver when i took mine off too

Get the hand impact driver, most of the non hex/allen fasteners on motorcycles will require them. And I have even used them on allen screws.

Ok the best way to get the stubborn bolts off is with a impact driver, Awesome tool that is your last resource to remove rusted or over torgued bolts, I suggest any backyard mechanic to buy one....

It shouldn't be a last resort tool, you will save yourself a lot of head and heartache if you use it first, before you mess up the fastener.

Everyone is mentioning impct drivers. Would this include the newer cordless ones? Or are they not very good? I have never used one so I am interested to know.

Ok so I took off 7 bolts and I guess I have to take off the 3 phillips head bolts to access the 8th bolt, Right? I' can't for the life of me take the phillips head bolts off! I tryed laying my bike down also so I could put more weight on it. AHH, started to strip one bolt bad so I stopped completlely, Any suggestions :naughty:

You are hopeless. And greedy. And hopelessly greedy. I would never help you on the side of a trail.

Everyone is mentioning impct drivers. Would this include the newer cordless ones? Or are they not very good? I have never used one so I am interested to know.

I believe everyone is talking about a hand impact driver. It has a 3/8 drive one one end that you attatch chosen socket/bit to. Other end you hit w/hammer while twisting the handle. It's spring loaded so the "hit" turns the fastener at the same time it sets the bit. A must for cycle fasteners.

:naughty: Thanks. Yeah...that is a little different than what I had pictured in my head LOL. :naughty: