Sign in to follow this  

How to tell 6/12 volts

I'm helping my neighbor try to get his old suzuki 1000 started and his battery is dead. I need to know if it is a 12 or 6 volt battery, I swear it is 12 and he swears it is a 6. It is unsealed and has 6 cells, which makes me think it is a 12 volt. Anyone know if there is an easy way to tell,

It would help if you said what year and the model it is. Not just old Suzuki, I would think it would be a 12 volt but you never know since it's just an old Suzuki 1000.

pretty much every jap bike newer than the late 70s used 12 volt sys. if you look at the back of the head light bulb it mite say what voltage its rated for. if not then look at the batery. you could also look at the neck of the frame get the vin no. and post it. I will tell you if it is 6 or 12.

I'm helping my neighbor try to get his old suzuki 1000 started and his battery is dead. I need to know if it is a 12 or 6 volt battery, I swear it is 12 and he swears it is a 6. It is unsealed and has 6 cells, which makes me think it is a 12 volt. Anyone know if there is an easy way to tell,

2 volts per cell, or 2.2 fully charged. Do the math.