Sign in to follow this  

Tt-r125le For My Wife

I Am Thinking Of Purchasing A Tt-r125le For My Wife But A Little Concerned About The Size And Power. She Rode A Xr200 For Her 1st Time Last Week And Loved It. I Would Like To Get Her An Electric Start So That Way When The Kids Need Help She Doesn't Get Frustrated. She Is 5.7 And Weighs 150 Lbs. We Went Down To The Local Yamaha Dealer Today And Sat On A 125 And A 230. The 230 Is A Pig. The 125 Is A Little Small, But The Weight Is Perfect.

A little grammer lesson- Only the first word of every sentence needs to be capitalized.

The TTR 125L will probally be fine for your wife, just don't hurt yourself trying to decide on a bike. :naughty::naughty::D

Just messing with you, welcome to Thumpertalk............

A little grammer lesson- Only the first word of every sentence needs to be capitalized.

The TTR 125L will probally be fine for your wife, just don't hurt yourself trying to decide on a bike. :naughty::naughty::D

Just messing with you, welcome to Thumpertalk............

LOL!

Yeah, the TTR 125 should be great!!

I'm kinda in that same boat myself, I'm trying to decide if the 125L would have enough power for me, I'm 5'7" and 135lbs, I've sat on both the 125l and the 230, I like the idea of the 230 for the extra power. What I'm planning on doing is converting the bike to Dual Sport so I want to have the power to be able to take it on the road and not hold traffic up trying to get it up in speed (I know the 230 will be perfect for both dirt and on-road, for me at least) but I did like the weight of the 125l better, it was a little small for me also but I just don't know if there will be enough power for me...Any input would be great...

-Mary

I'm kinda in that same boat myself, I'm trying to decide if the 125L would have enough power for me, I'm 5'7" and 135lbs, I've sat on both the 125l and the 230, I like the idea of the 230 for the extra power. What I'm planning on doing is converting the bike to Dual Sport so I want to have the power to be able to take it on the road and not hold traffic up trying to get it up in speed (I know the 230 will be perfect for both dirt and on-road, for me at least) but I did like the weight of the 125l better, it was a little small for me also but I just don't know if there will be enough power for me...Any input would be great...

-Mary

i'm about 5'7", 130 lb's but i'm a dude. my ttr125le is streetplated and has no problem keeping up with traffic (anywhere but the highway (top speed is too low)). i rode it pretty stock with the dual sport kit, and 17" wheels that i built last year. over this winter, i've added springs front and rear springs (the suspension is designed for someone around 110 lb's) and a taller seat (my legs get cramped after an hour of riding). i'm also doing the big bore kit and cam.

picture of my bike cause i like showing it off.

bike2.jpg

Hi Mary, I will keep you let you know what I decide. I am almost sure I am going to buy her the 125. She is a beginner.

What I did for my wife is laid down my 250x and asked her to pick it up. When she could not budge it I new that the crf230 and ttr225 were too big since they are both heavier bikes. The E-start was a must, so I did not look at any others. I got her the 125le and she loves it. It is perfect for a beginner because of the size and weight of the bike. If you get a bike that is too big, they will probably grow into it, but might have a rough time. I have just added an autoclutch to her bike and she really likes it. It is best to get a bike someone can handle if they are a new rider.

Good luck!

Chad

you should consider trading in your wife for a stronger one....if she cant pick up a 230 what good is she? Good luck.

Posner

My wife is 5'4" good build (If I post her weight she'd gouge my eyes out with hot pokers and pull my tongue out with vice grips). Anyway she rides an '04TTR125LE and it works well for her. You will need: BBR springs (bike is sprung for a 50lb kid) and a BBR frame cradle to prevent frame stretch with the heavier rider and stiffer suspension. I also recommend adult size footpegs and the IMS linkage free shifter.

Dscf0011.jpg

i have a question for the yamaha ttr125le the stock handle bars can you fit barkbusters on them or do you need the full size 31.5 inchers

Full size hand guards work fine on stock bars. You will, however, find the stock bars bend in a stiff wind so you'll end up replacing them soon. Almost better to do it from the get-go.

I think the TTR125LE is too small for your wife. if you get her a full size bike, with maybe a lowering link, it will be much safer for her and she will learn to ride better. i think the TTR125LE is good up to about 120 lbs and 5'2" max. If you are bigger than that you need a full size bike. It is a kids bike, or a play/pit bike. We have one it's and perfect for my 10 year old son.

If you have full size wheels, full length wheel base etc. she will be able to ride safer over the same terrain with a bigger bike. The TTR125 is small. I've road my sons a lot and it is fun but it gets a little squirrelly at times.

No one makes a good light eight e-start smaller displacement 4T. I would reccomend a KDX220. It is a two stroke with the very excellent low end. Their powerband is like a 4T. Bullet proof bikes, a lowering link and moving the forks up in the triple clamp will get the seat height correct for her.

I went through the same decision for my wife about 6 months ago. I was going to get her a KDX220 until the '04 Husqvarna CR125 became available for less than $3K brand new. You can find KDX's, hardly used for under $2K damn near everywhere. Check out ebay for instance. Ton's of Aftermarket stuff available for them also. Go to http://dirtrider.net/forums3/forumdisplay.php?f=6 to check out all you need to know about them.

The deal is the weight for a gal. My wife's Husky weighs like 218 wet. The KDX is about 225 wet. A TTR230 is a lot heavier. The TT125 LE is 186 wet.

The TTR125 will work but I guarantee she will fall more on it vs. the KDX. It's too small.

sorry flame but your wrong. the bikes you listed are nice bikes but the ttr125le would do her fine.. im 6' and weigh 165 and ride my ttr3-4 hrs hard per weekend.

im getting a yz250f next month but the ttr125 would do your wife fine :naughty:

sorry flame but your wrong. the bikes you listed are nice bikes but the ttr125le would do her fine.. im 6' and weigh 165 and ride my ttr3-4 hrs hard per weekend.

im getting a yz250f next month but the ttr125 would do your wife fine :naughty:

I might be wrong in your mind but my mind agrees with my thinking. I've riden my son's a lot. It is not the best alternative for someone who is 5'-7" and 150 lbs.