Intro to Motocross

Hi, im looking to get into motocross and i was wondering if there was any sites or clubs or things like that I could join or something like that. How exactly do you get started. You dont just show up at a race with your bike. I live in MA and I have been on a ttr-225 for a year and a half. I dont think i would start right away becuase my friend has a track i could pratice and get ok on before I enter races. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks, Ryan

it depends on where in the country your at, but most mx tracks are open for practice as well as races. the best thing to do is find out where the closest track to you is, go there one weekend, pay the session fee and sign the waiver with your parents, then you can go ride. have fun, and the people at the track will be able to answer any questions you have about racing. good luck.

Welcome to TT, newbie. Here's a helpful AMA web page about starting to race:

http://www.ama-cycle.org/amrace/torace.asp

To do AMA races, you join the national AMA, and then join your local district of the AMA, where you get your AMA racing number. Your local AMA district will have a number of races and series that you typically can get involved in. There are probably also local non-AMA race series, and the best way to get info on them is to call or visit your local tracks. They'll have flyers or be able to give you websites or phone number contacts for your local race series.

Have fun! -Mike-

umm i dont think ur gonna get to far with that ttr 225 on the track...great on the trails but def. not a mx bike..i had one for a half a year and just bought an 04 rm 125...its just amazing but it takes some getting used to coming from the 225. so i sugest u get a mx bike and prac. a little bit b4 u just go buy one and race it ur first day on it.

by the way welcome to TT great site!!

Hi, I was looking to deff get rid of the ttr a while before I start to race. I was thinking a yamaha yz250f or a hona crf250x. All I know is there both very good bikes becuase my friend raced both of them. Im not sure what way im going to head but probaly to the honda. If you guys have any sugestions on wich bike to go to that would be great. I dont have many local tracks but the closest is southwick MA. I went once to watch my friend race but i dident see many booths or places to get info. Thanks for all the help so far, Ryan

Ryan: Hopefully the track close to you will have practice days and maybe even classes. If they split them into the beginners, some experience, good riders, that would be great. Start with the beginners. Trust me, if you are on the TTR you will be happy you did. There is no reason you can't take your bike to the track for a class or practice session. You can still get tips on the basics. Just remember to ride not only within your ability, but the bike's ability. You do not want to be trying jumps with that bike. The suspension is not good for track riding. Also, when looking for a new bike, be careful. The 2 you mentioned will knock the socks off your TTR. Not even in the same class. GO easy at first. Good luck and have fun:)

Thanks for the help guys, the closest track to me is southwick and they do not offer pratice days :naughty: . I live in Boylston Mass, if anyone knows of close tracks that offer pratcie days plese let me know. I know the crf or the yzf would kill the ttr but if i go any smaller im going to be all scrunched up. Im 6' 1" so it would be harder to go smaller than a 250. If anyone has better sugestions let me know. Thanks for the help, Ryan

Hi, I was looking to deff get rid of the ttr a while before I start to race. I was thinking a yamaha yz250f or a hona crf250x. All I know is there both very good bikes becuase my friend raced both of them. Im not sure what way im going to head but probaly to the honda. If you guys have any sugestions on wich bike to go to that would be great. I dont have many local tracks but the closest is southwick MA. I went once to watch my friend race but i dident see many booths or places to get info. Thanks for all the help so far, Ryan

You mean Honda Crf250R not X

X is the trails version of the R

Thanks for the help guys, the closest track to me is southwick and they do not offer pratice days :naughty: . I live in Boylston Mass, if anyone knows of close tracks that offer pratcie days plese let me know. I know the crf or the yzf would kill the ttr but if i go any smaller im going to be all scrunched up. Im 6' 1" so it would be harder to go smaller than a 250. If anyone has better sugestions let me know. Thanks for the help, Ryan

The Yzf and Crf are bigger than youre ttr. When you say 250 do you mean two stroke or four stroke? And how much do you weigh?

Ya i know both of the bikes are bigger than my ttr. My friend has raced both of them and i can almost stand flat foot on both of them. I weigh 147 pounds. And i mean 4 stroke and the yz250f and crf250r are both 4-stroke. My dad said no 2-smokes because they will be band within 3-5 years and I have to try to keep a low profile where I ride. Any better suggestions than what i have would be great.

Ya i know both of the bikes are bigger than my ttr. My friend has raced both of them and i can almost stand flat foot on both of them. I weigh 147 pounds. And i mean 4 stroke and the yz250f and crf250r are both 4-stroke. My dad said no 2-smokes because they will be band within 3-5 years and I have to try to keep a low profile where I ride. Any better suggestions than what i have would be great.

You can get a SDG tall seat and change the ergonomics of the bike to your size.