Messed Up

OK...Help me out here...I got something messed up and cannot figure it out?

I installed the Boyesen Quick shot and a Yoshimura Exhaustthis morning, put in a 175 main and adjusted the Fuel screw to 2 1/2 out. Fire it up and adjusted the fuel screw out to 3 1/2 and still had a bog, so I figured I need the 45 pilot. Anyway took it for a spin and got about 100 yards and it died. It just quit? Would not re-start, nothing :naughty:

So after about 30 minutes of trying to re-start it I took it apart again..put the stock bowl back on the carb, checked the valves, put in new plug and fired it back up. The bog was almost gone with the stock pump bowl or cover?

So I took off again, rode about 5 minutes, brought it back and while it was sitting there idling on the stand it died again, now it won't start again :D :D

So I think that its running out of gas, put in a 185 main, get it started and this time before it quits on me it starts sputtering and popping before it dies?

All I have different now is the pipe, and I made sure that the diaphram is in right, I have no clue now :naughty:

Please, anyone have any ideas before I have to take it to the shop?

I will be forever grateful :D Thanks!

well your way way way to rich on the main jet.

im not sure why you decided to go bigger on the main jet right off.

but that wouldnt affect the idle.

its probably fouling the plug.

set the fuel screw at 2 turns and put the stock 168 main jet back in.

I'll try the 168 main tommorrow? But the plug that I took out was white with the 175 main in. I richened it up because of the temp...50 degrees.

I am lost...I spent all day puttin it together and tearing it apart..my last thought for tommorrow was to tear down the carb, check the float level and make sure nothing is off there. What has me ALL CONFUSED is that it ran fine before all this????? Like I said, I got something messed up? :naughty:

OK...put the jetting back to stock and still no go :D

So I tear it apart again :naughty: Clean Carb, re-check valves and everything looks good. Decide to try another plug and find out there is no spark :D

Go thru entire electrical system unplugging, cleaning and re-plugging everything, even un-hooked kill switch....still no spark....&%$#@! :naughty:

Now I'm thinking my CDI went out? This bike has only got 16.5 hours on it ?

Anyone besides Burned have any ideas? And btw thanks for your input Burned :D

HELP!!!!

If you aren't in a darkened garage you'll never see the spark. I couldn't. A kickstart spark isn't very stong to start with and you only get a few on each kick.

Listen to burned he know what he's doing. And next time only make one change at a time.

Well the jetting is back to stock and it won't start :naughty:

I even tried to see if I could get shocked by holding the plug thinking that Maybe I could'nt see the spark...no shock, no spark :D

My foot is so bruised now I'm done for awhile..I give up :naughty:

Did what you said Burned...unplugged kill switch and still no spark or shock or pop :naughty:

The only thing I haven't done is put the stock exhaust back on?

My next test will be checking the "continuity"(spelling)" on the wires with an ohm meter, but right now I don't even want to look at it :D

Like I said Burned this all started after I installed the Boyesen quick shot along with the Yosh exhaust. So now I'm back to the stock jetting, stock bowl cover and the Yosh Exhaust but nothing is gonna work without a spark :naughty:

Thanks for your input :D

Ok...I couldn't go to sleep without screwing with this one last time.....so I check each electrical wire for continuity one at a time and following the electrical diagram in the manual. I took the plug out so I could easily kick the motor over with my hand (because my foot is black and blue and sore as hell) I was wanting to see if there was anything from the alternator show up as I kicked...I left the plug in the cap resting against the frame.......on about the fourth kick with my hand the freakin thing sparked!!!!!!the plug that is. :D

So I quickly put everything back together and double checked everything again, put my boot on and it fired up 2nd kick?????:D

Its too dark and too late to ride it so I will find out tommorrow if its fixed or if its like before ( run for about 5 minutes and quit?) Do you think maybe one of my connections could of been corroded and by inserting the ohm meter needle that it got scraped and fixed itself ? :naughty: I have no other idea.....but now my house smells like race gas, the wife hates me and I can go to sleep :naughty: Thanks for the input and I'll be back if breaks again :D

house smells like race gas

Have you been using race gas all along? I put race gas in with a new top end once when I had been using pump to begin with. It was a bear to start and my foot was probably as sore as yours is now.

Odds are you just got it loaded up real bad. After sitting long enough it dispersed (into your house :naughty: ) and bingo it starts.

Let us know how it runs later. Expiring minds want to know.

It has been raining for the past couple of days :D

I will tell you that it has started for two days in a row :naughty: I let it get warmed up enough that the header gets glowing and then shut her down, so who knows ? Now I'm afraid of pulling it apart to put that Boyesen quick shot cover back on? Might just leave the stock one on now that it runs :D

Might not get to actually ride the thing until this weekend, if it quits then I will for sure post the results, btw thanks for the replies and help :D:naughty:

OK....Now I'm getting pissed:mad:

Took the 450 out for a ride that lasted about 5 minutes, came back and started adjusting the fuel screw to try and get the off idle bog out. After about 30 seconds the thing died again...tried to re-start with the hot start...nothing.....tried to re-start without the hot start nothing?

Pushed it back in the garage and tried one more time before tearing it apart...this time I choked it and it started? :naughty:

So what does it mean when you have to choke a hot motor!

right now I have the 168 main in, stock 42 pilot, stock needle on stock position and the yosh exhaust. I have emailed and left messages with yoshimura and have heard nothing.:D

Anymore ideas?

Thanks!

:naughty:

OK....Now I'm getting pissed:mad:

Took the 450 out for a ride that lasted about 5 minutes, came back and started adjusting the fuel screw to try and get the off idle bog out. After about 30 seconds the thing died again...tried to re-start with the hot start...nothing.....tried to re-start without the hot start nothing?

Pushed it back in the garage and tried one more time before tearing it apart...this time I choked it and it started? :naughty:

So what does it mean when you have to choke a hot motor!

right now I have the 168 main in, stock 42 pilot, stock needle on stock position and the yosh exhaust. I have emailed and left messages with yoshimura and have heard nothing.:D

Anymore ideas?

Thanks!

:naughty:

pull the fuel line off at the carb and turn it on to see if fuel flows free , if it stops flowing your vent is plugged or your screen is restricked , it should run with stock jets ,

pull the fuel line off at the carb and turn it on to see if fuel flows free , if it stops flowing your vent is plugged or your screen is restricked , it should run with stock jets ,

I was thinking the vent also or your pipe is plugged :naughty:

pull the bowl plug and make sure you get a constant flow of fuel out the hole when you turn the gas on...

Do like those other guys suggested...make sure the tank vent is clear and make sure all the vent lines for the carb arent kinked somewhere too.

Jetting has nothing to do with this. Its a flow problem. When you have to choke a warm motor, it doesnt have enough fuel in the bowl for some reason. Or, your pilot jet is plugged.

:worthy:YOU GUYS FREAKIN ROCK !!!!!!!!!:naughty:

Checked the fuel line like you said and it would pour out fuel for about 30 seconds and quit......the freakin vent cap was stuck shut...took it off and now I'm free flowing again....going to put the Boyesen Quick shot back on to try again.....Thank you all...:naughty: