Sign in to follow this  

2005 exc headlight output....

My father just purchased a 2005 525 EXC. He loves it so far but while we were out riding last weekend, we took a little too long to get back to camp and the headlight was less than suitable.

Is there anyway to get more lighting out of the stock assembly? Like maybe just installing a higher wattage bulb, and if so where would I find 1.

Thanks in advance!

Inoc

Yes there is and it is very simple. The stock light bulb is a duel element(high low). From the factory the bulb is wired up to the low element. In the back of the light Assembly you'll find the three wires from the bulb, take the hot wire from the low and plug it into the high wire connector. Wallah cheep way to see better, plus if you are on a ride and it ever burns out just connect it back into the low light wire and continue riding and change the bulb out later. Works great for me. The bulb and wires are the same as the duelsports, they have a high low swith on the handle bars.

Enjoy riding.

Yes there is and it is very simple. The stock light bulb is a duel element(high low). From the factory the bulb is wired up to the low element. In the back of the light Assembly you'll find the three wires from the bulb, take the hot wire from the low and plug it into the high wire connector. Wallah cheep way to see better, plus if you are on a ride and it ever burns out just connect it back into the low light wire and continue riding and change the bulb out later. Works great for me. The bulb and wires are the same as the duelsports, they have a high low swith on the handle bars.

Enjoy riding.

Hey, thanks for sharing that information...I never knew that :naughty:

That's the easy and cheap way to do it. Works very well for me. I use an extra 35wt halogen helmet light for dedicated nightrides. For even more light, Baja Designs sells a replacement reflector w/ glass lens so the higher power 55/60wt halogen bulb won't melt the stock plastic lens. Also available HID lights that are amazing and $$$$$.

I was under the impression that the '05 bulb was single filament and indeed a step backwards in terms of light output compared to '04 and earlier.

The bulb is a h4 bulb which you can get at any automotive store for about 1o to 15 bucks max. They even make it in a 65 watt version which gives you a lot more light. Also, sicass.com has the harness to give you the high low switch to.

I was under the impression that the '05 bulb was single filament and indeed a step backwards in terms of light output compared to '04 and earlier.

I'm not sure about the bulb type or output but I've heard nothing but bad about the 05 headlight. The funky design might look cool but it does a poor job of putting light where you need it.

I do not think there is a direct replacement for the plastic light on the 05. From 2000-2004 they had a glass insert. The 05 is not even a halogen bulb and is not an H4 for sure.

Dale

sorry , My bad. Mine is an 04 and I was told they were still the same. Good luck.

Tim