Is the California DMV screwing with me?

I bought a 2001 DRZ 400 that was already plated in Ca. I took it to the DMV, and changed ownership, and everything seemed OK, but I recently got a letter in the mail saying that the bike is not allowed to be street registered in Ca. and that they want the plate back? I was under the assumption that bikes that were already registered prior to the ban were grandfathered in? Anyone have any suggestions or input?

you are correct. If the bike was street reg before the ban it should be OK. I would talk with them and try to straiten it out.

This does not surprise me, being that CARB rules the land in Kali and soon here in Washington State regarding vehicle emission standards. DMV offices will be flooded with calls from screaming dualsporters about their rights, law suits and paying taxes, yadi, yadi, yadi. :naughty:

Two of the most powerful and most feared agencies in the US are EPA and IRS. :naughty:

Guess I'll be purchasing another DRZ-S :D

FOLLOW THIS LINK

http://www.bikersrights.com/epa/EPA_emmissionsAnalysis.html

If it was a red sticker bike and slipped through the cracks to get a plate, you maybe screwgied. The DMV can go back and pull any plates that were atained illegally/mistakenly.

I might get the same letter for my 99 yz400 some day, it's a fear I live with constantly

If its older than an 03 its a green sticker bike. It doesn't matter what it is.

A buddy of mine received the exact same DMV nasty letter and just ignored it. He then got his normal registration renewal in the mail a couple months later. I'd wait to see if the DMV pushes the issue before doing anything.

If its older than an 03 its a green sticker bike. It doesn't matter what it is.

And a green sticker is what they will send him.

Just because it went from red to green didn't make it legal to convert to street legal, many '99-'02 bikes slipped through the cracks that year (and still do) becuse of the confussion with that change.

Bottom line is if it has the "C" or "3" in the 8th spot in the vin, the DMV can consider it mistakenly street plated, green sticker legal or not.

You'll find out when you go to renew the tags

Good luck

All dirt bikes older than 03 are green sticker bikes in Ca. They started the red sticker program in 97, but since most 97 models were manufactured in 96 they really started in the 98 model year. DMV had such a hard time figuring out which bikes were red or green that they scrapped the whole thing and started fresh in 03 and everything older than 03 became green sticker bikes. I did the original kit, and registration on the bike when a friend of mine owned it, and it was done before the dual sport ban in 03 so it didnt slip through the cracks, since 02 the tags have been renewed 2 times. I decided to ignore the letter, and wait until I get a letter to send the plates back.

Just because it went from red to green didn't make it legal to convert to street legal, many '99-'02 bikes slipped through the cracks that year (and still do) becuse of the confussion with that change.

Bottom line is if it has the "C" or "3" in the 8th spot in the vin, the DMV can consider it mistakenly street plated, green sticker legal or not.

Good luck

Same thing happend to me. I went to register my 2002 CRF450 to dual sport before the ban and they would not do it. even though it was a green sticker bike it had a c in the VIN after a hour of arguing and speaking to management they would not give me my plate.....i was out 500 for the damn kit.

Good luck

But he said it already had a plate. Someone said if it was a red sticker they could pull the plate, but its not. The sticker doesn't have anything to do with a plate, but if he already had it he should be all set. I can't believe you can buy a plated bike, and the DMV can tell you they decided to take the plate back. The bikes didn't slip through the cracks, it was legal to dual sport them. They can't come back now and take back a plate if it was legally done in the first place.

They can't come back now and take back a plate if it was legally done in the first place.

True,

But I thought the DRZs were red sticker bikes origanaly, before the '02 and older change?

If it was green origanally (no 3/C), then yes it, it was legal to convert and you should be able keep the plate under the compromise/extention order.