Great Tip! **look Here**

i was ridng in mudding conditions, usually stay out of them but my friends step up was to tempting, it was my first semi big jump so i was really excited. But when i got home from the track next door i washed my bike really good first with just a hose to get the high spots then went back with a sponge and soapy water to make it shine. Thats all good but heres the great tip. When your chain, or any other really muddy part of your bike, has mud that is in hard to reach places or just won't come off, fire up the air compresser and spray the chain with WD-40, then when you air compresser gets to like 100PSI spray the chain, i held a peice of cardboard behind the chain so wet mud and WD-40 won't go everywhere. It works good but you have to let it dry before applying more chain lube.

Hope it works as good for you as it did for me! :naughty:

Yes that does work sometimes. When Im lazy I just dry the bike with the air compressor.... no spots is it has enough air capactiy.

sounds harsh

Why not just get a powerwasher and clean everything with that, then use WD40 to displace the water on the chain?

cause a pressure washer can and will blow grease out of everything and push water into seals, thats why.

And 100PSI of air DOESN'T blow water/dirt into seals!? I'll stick to the garden hose and some patience, thanks. If you don't have time wash your bike, when are you going to have time to replace all the seals?

Sorry, but there's no water in my seals yet. It's not like youre keeping the tip 2" from the seals!

I have the time to wash my bike, but I have a life that doesnt involve me spending more than 2 hours to wash it by a hose.

step 1 garden hose to get off all the large amounts of mud

step 2 spray bike down with simple green wait 5 minutes

step 3 spray down bike with garden hose

step 4 spray hard to get places with simple green wait 2 min

step 5 spray bike down with garden hose

step 6 dry and apply wd-40

if you use this method everytime you never have to scrub, unless you let your bike sit dirty, if it werent for scratches my bike could pass off as new

takes all of 20 minutes and my bike is just as clean as my friends that use pressure washers

I recently switched to a pressure washer and some Crown cleaner.. soak with crown (from pressuer washer pump)then spray off, I'm really conserative with it.. stay way back.. and only get close up under the front and rear fenders. I never spray directly at certain areas..like the hubs, linkage, rad fins, steering stem, etc.. and it's has saved me ALOT of time compared to my garden hose. It takes some common sense, but I'd have to say I like the pressure washer 3x better than a garden hose, I'll lube the rear linkage every six months anyway. It takes about 4-5 minutes to wash now, versus 10-15 with garden hose and probably uses less water.

With that said a pressure washer will do alot of damage if not used very carefully.

step 1 garden hose to get off all the large amounts of mud

step 2 spray bike down with simple green wait 5 minutes

step 3 spray down bike with garden hose

step 4 spray hard to get places with simple green wait 2 min

step 5 spray bike down with garden hose

step 6 dry and apply wd-40

if you use this method everytime you never have to scrub, unless you let your bike sit dirty, if it werent for scratches my bike could pass off as new

takes all of 20 minutes and my bike is just as clean as my friends that use pressure washers

I use a similar procedure but often substitute with some other cleaner. Often use engine gunk or a light degreaser but maybe Simple Green is better/safer? What do you think?

I would also add that a car washing brush works wonders as I'm hosing off the degreaser. Would recommend using a brush. Absolutely no need for a power washer.

WD40 to displace water on chain and other moving parts. With bike up on stand I use the WD and a rag to clean off chain. I wrap rag around my hand and WD soaked chain and spin the chain through it. Really cleans it well but I read some people here think it will bypass the o-rings and destroy the grease inside the chain. Hope its not true. Chain still seems good after 1 year.

I then finish chain and moving parts with chain wax. Since my chain is now free of debris I don't have any clumping that some have mentioned when using the wax.

By the way, how will I know when I need a new chain other than an obvious malfunction or broken link?

Simple green works very well, but can be a little harsh on aluminum, but I have used it a few times. What I think works better is a 50/50 mix of Mr. Clean and water in a spray bottle (empty Simple Green bottle!). Same thing, just spray it on, spray off with garden hose. No high pressure required. Mark

I recently switched to a pressure washer and some Crown cleaner.. soak with crown (from pressuer washer pump)then spray off, I'm really conserative with it.. stay way back.. and only get close up under the front and rear fenders. I never spray directly at certain areas..like the hubs, linkage, rad fins, steering stem, etc.. and it's has saved me ALOT of time compared to my garden hose. It takes some common sense, but I'd have to say I like the pressure washer 3x better than a garden hose, I'll lube the rear linkage every six months anyway. It takes about 4-5 minutes to wash now, versus 10-15 with garden hose and probably uses less water.

With that said a pressure washer will do alot of damage if not used very carefully.

I dont even use cleaner. Just use the pressure washer to get the mud off and the residue from the mud. But like you, i never spray directly in certain areas.

I use a pressure washer every time... its pumps out 1.8 gallons per minute, and is 1750PSI. I have never had any problems with seals by using it. The end of the sprayer is kept at max 10" away... I never get to close, so I don't do damage... I use degreaser, not sure the exact name right now.. but some soap, degreaser, and a pressure washer can get the job done it about 15 minutes.. Yeah, using a pressure washer may not be the smartest idea because you have to be careful, but it gets all the heavy stuff off instantly...

By the way, how will I know when I need a new chain other than an obvious malfunction or broken link?

You'll know you need a new chain if your current chain is so stretched that your chain adjusters are all the way back, and you can't tighten it any more.

I've never even had to adjust the stock DID chain on my WR after 18 months, so this thing could last forever.

Simple green works very well, but can be a little harsh on aluminum,

Ohh yeah.. I stoped using simple green for that verry reason.... I really messed up my FMF power core 4. I think I may have let it sit because supercross was on in the garadge and i went back and fourth... So I did get it back to normal with some MOTHERS aluminum polish and it shines like new.

Ohh yeah.. I stoped using simple green for that verry reason.... I really messed up my FMF power core 4. I think I may have let it sit because supercross was on in the garadge and i went back and fourth... So I did get it back to normal with some MOTHERS aluminum polish and it shines like new.

i was reading where the U.S.A.F. put a halt on simple green use for cleaning aluminum aircraft due to hydrogen embrittlement :naughty: that was enough for me to retire my jug of it,too bad it worked very well and smelled good on top of that :naughty:

The SG directions say to not leave on until it dries. It also says to do small areas. I use it diluted 50/50 w/water on cool wet surfaces, never letting it dry. Use a brush with it and it works great and no alloy issues at all. I also use S100 but DAMN that stuff's expensive.