Trouble Starting TC450

Hi guys, can anyone educate me on how to start my TC450?

The bike is a new 2004, that I have had less than a month, so I haven’t had a chance to ride it over about 2 miles to date

Approximately 72 hrs ago I apparently flooded the motor, I messed around with it for about an hour that day. The following evening, I attempted to start it again, no luck so I pulled the plug out, it was wet, spun the engine to clean it out, then let it sit for 48 hrs with no plug. I re installed the plug, and it still wont start. It tries, but just spits and sputters at best. I also checked the plug for spark “ouch”, and the petcock valve to make sure it was functioning, etc. The exhaust does get lukewarm from the occasion spitting & sputtering. What am I doing wrong?

The 04s Te and Tc were known for bad starting . The carb is poorly jetted . I had the same problem . What you need to do is to send the carb to halls husqvarna . You can find them on husqvarnausa.com look on the dealer list and click on Illinois state and you can find them there . They do more than change the jets . It will cost about a 100 dollars . Its worth it . I had mine done and my buddy had both of his Tc 450 done . For now what you need to do is pull the choke twist the trottle 4 times and hit the starter . It may take a couple times doing this process . The bike is jetted way to lean from the factory . :naughty:

Cold starts rely on proper procedure; must twist 3-4 times then hit button with throttle closed.

No start after a few seconds? Try again.

Raise the idle by screwing in the idle adjuster 1/4 turn.

They come with a 30 pilot, which is rich. A 27.5 is better but I still havent got one in yet.

Check the fuel screw is at 1.75 turns out. If so, try setting it to 1.5 instead - thats leaner, but the pilot is rich anyway.

If the weather is pretty warm try starting without choke. Mine likes that. Again, rich pilot = chokeless start.

[b[I]]The 04s Te and Tc were known for bad starting[/B] [/i] . The carb is poorly jetted . I had the same problem . What you need to do is to send the carb to halls husqvarna . You can find them on husqvarnausa.com look on the dealer list and click on Illinois state and you can find them there . They do more than change the jets . It will cost about a 100 dollars . Its worth it . I had mine done and my buddy had both of his Tc 450 done . For now what you need to do is pull the choke twist the trottle 4 times and hit the starter . It may take a couple times doing this process . The bike is jetted way to lean from the factory . :naughty:

Wow, I have never heard that one. I have owned two of them and they both started flawlessly. Yes they are jetted lean out of the box. On that point you are correct.

If you go to just about any motorcycle shop you can buy Mikuni large round mains for about $3 each. Put a 185 in it. Raise your needle to the 5th slot from the top. Set AP pre-load to zero and don't touch the pilot. Stock should be fine for more if you like latter. Go to all the threads that heve been posted on the subject for more details.

I'd also skip the twist the throttle deal. Maybe once when cold and never hot. Obviously you are flooding it with a wet plug like you are experiencing.

Try this for me once. Pull out the choke. Do not twist the throttle to prime the carb. Hit the button. Let it idle for 15 seconds. turn off the choke.

IF you have never ridden the bike before and it is brand new: Let it idle for about 5 to 7 minutes at least to let it get good and hot. Then ride it hard with lots of accelleration and decellerations to break it in.

If you don't know how to jet a motorcycle, or don't won't to learn. or just don't want to do it, then send it off and spend $100. You can do it yourself for under $10 guanteed.

There is no mystery to these carbs. Very easy to work on.

Thanks for all the help guy’s; I finally got it running this afternoon. Cleaned it out as much as possible on my little track. Sounds like the re jetting will be inevitable at some point. I figure I have about a month to get it all dialed in before it dries out enough around here to actually go riding away from home. Again thanks a bunch, I will be saving the info for future reference.