Believe it or not... a cool ranger ? ! ?

Ok, i was totally shocked today. I am usually pretty quick to bash the rangers here in California. I wont go into the reasons, cuz this is a positive post.

My buddy and I drove to a local spot, where the rangers were inspecting all the bikes going in. He saw my red sticker and told me red sticker season was over, and that my bike had to stay in the truck.

Heres where it got weird. He actually took the time to get us a red sticker season calendar, and point us in the direction of another spot that was still open to red stickers. After my buddy and I started discussing what we should do, the guy comes over and actually tells us to head back to the more secluded staging area and go ahead and ride just for today. He told us to try and keep a low profile (no riding like idiots in staging area..but hey..we aren't on quads so thats no prob. ! :naughty: )

I was so impressed by this guy being cool and letting us have a great day of riding. (first day with my new Dr.D pipe !...loved it )

I guess they aren't ALL evil ! !

at least someone was lucky today, i was at beaumont and the cop was going off on us, so we went to 4th st and guess what, the same cop came up and was saying, "ive got the authority to ticket you and confescate you bike", what a sphincter! they are camped out with rv's at jack rabbit and ride their fag quads around yelling at people, in a couple of weeks they will be gone though...i hope. the only cool cops ive met were in temecula valley, if someone calls them they tell us, "go do some doughnuts in front of their house for making us drive out here". but that is cool that he let you ride and didnt ticket you or anything.

Congratulations on completely missing the point. :naughty:

And so did SOCALFMX. We arte talking rangers here, NOT cops.

A Forest Ranger has to have a 4-year degree, a ton of Bio. and 2 tons of math.

A cop has to have 11 weeks of training, a gun, radio, and a desire to waste taxpayer's money, and no friends in highschool.

2 totally diffferent creatures.

All the cops and rangers I've met by riding were only concerned with one thing. "Are you really gonna KEEP that snake?!?!? WHY???"

I did get nabbed by a cop coming out of the canyons. My plate was dirty, and he thought I was just out on the street joyriding. When my plate came back clean he was blown away by my bike. He wanted one. Then he asked me what I was doing out there at night.

"Catching snakes."

"Say what?"

"Yep. Wanna see one?"

"You're serious? Yeah...but don't...let it near me, OK?" :D:D

He told me I was nuts. Legal, but nuts. :naughty:

Man I'm glad I live in Canada, no one bothers us at our riding spots. No stickers either. But I'm sure the tree huggers are working on things.

PLEASE don't thing that the US is patrolled by california rangers. Those guys are FREAKS out there and I would never give them the satisfaction of putting a f-ing sticker on my bike. (I lived there in the late 90s--I'll never go back)

I used to live in Orange County So. Cal. I went places on my 750 honda street bike that are now gated. I also from time to time met up with rangers, never really had any problems. Things have changed now. The let's love nature crew has seen to that. You red sticker bike owners now have to stay home, run lief blowers, weed eaters and sear meat on open flames rather than add to the smog load with your unclean red sticker bikes. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL yeah when I cant ride b/c the red sticker crap I run the streets and sell crack and beat up defensless baby's . ((Just Kidding)) It sucks that something that keeps kids off the streets & working to make money and have goals like riding motorcycles is being taken away b/c some flower pusher tofu eating tree hugger thinks its defacing the land . But everywhere that has been closed down is now covered with houses . Hmmmm think about that . I'm talking about moto X tracks corona raceway ,orange county raceway, saddle back ,Carlsbad, the list is too long. Yes I'm rambling off the subject but the sticker thing makes me crazy ! No sticker is gonna stop me and the sound limit, that silly . With 18 wheelers compression braking and Harley's with shorty's they are worried about us . I have a spark arrester in a carbon pro2 pipe that is my effort to avoid forest fires . No red /green / purple / or any color reg stickers . aaaaaaaaahhhhh ok I feel better now

Oh yeah btw the rangers are cool to you if you are cool to them they are cool to you, they are only doing what they are told . Most of them ride too . They just don't want to clean up after you or drag you out of a creek with no helmet on . Other than that they want you to have fun too. They have the ability to tell who is a idiot don't know how . I went to a riding spot with a factory rig they asked no questions . Two of the 4 race bikes where legal.

I went to the same place with a metal malisha lookin dork and they checked everything and allmost sent us away .

Good to hear ? Also, you were pretty lucky that he didn't ticket you. A relative of mine got a ticket for having a red stickered bike in the back of his truck...didn't even unload it yet!

I'd be fighting that one. Isn't it like a $300 ticket? No way I'd be paying that if the bike was in the truck.

Now... if I were in the process of unloading it, then maybe I wouldn't bitch... the intent there would be obvious.

Question from ignoramus UK TT'er.

I've seen mention of red & green sticker bikes, and I assume that it's something to do with emissions regulations.

Can someone kindly explain why/how a bike can be legally ridden at one time of the year, and not ridden at other times of the year. ?

Is this a California thing only, or does it apply to the rest of the US too?

yea its a California thing. It has to do with emissions and forrest fire posibility. I guess the tree huggers are winning in leaps and bounds at that kind of stuff. They have also succesfully gotten rid of all 2 stroke marine vehicles (boats, jet skis). I think there is some type of grandfather clause on them, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Also, being an out of stater does not give you any room for reasoning with them on the red sticker thing. Some people from out of state came to see family on the Military base where I live. Well they went riding and got busted for a red sticker bike that was not registered and was being used durring the wrong time of the year.

Oh yeah btw the rangers are cool to you if you are cool to them they are cool to you, they are only doing what they are told . Most of them ride too . They just don't want to clean up after you or drag you out of a creek with no helmet on . Other than that they want you to have fun too. They have the ability to tell who is a idiot don't know how . I went to a riding spot with a factory rig they asked no questions . Two of the 4 race bikes where legal.

I went to the same place with a metal malisha lookin dork and they checked everything and allmost sent us away .

+1

I don't think I have ever dealt with a ranger who wasn't cool. All great peeps who seem mellow, quite knowledgable and like their jobs. They have always been more of a help than a hinderance to me. Then again, I always show respect, keep my bikes legit and follow the rules most of the time. ?

The rangers who come off as jerks are probably tired of dealing with the endless dirtbags who endanger others and have no respect for nature, wildlife or other people. :D

Oh we're going to miss Yater and his sticker.

They're only doing there job and this one sounded very flexible and understanding.

They'll be out in force for an upcoming enduro and red stickers get an exemption, sounds flexible to me. nuff said, happy trails

And so did SOCALFMX. We arte talking rangers here, NOT cops.

A Forest Ranger has to have a 4-year degree, a ton of Bio. and 2 tons of math.

A cop has to have 11 weeks of training, a gun, radio, and a desire to waste taxpayer's money, and no friends in highschool.

IGNORANCE....sheer ignorance!!!