Sign in to follow this  

Split this forum?

Fellas, does it make sense to split this forum, similar to the japanese bikes? If so, how? Examples: 4XX/5XX EXC/MXC? 4XX/5XX SX? I'm sure there are other combinations.

Our goal is to increase the relevancy of the posts and typically if the machines overlap all over the place, we leave them in the same forums.

Let us know if you think this makes sense are what are each of the individual forums we might have.

Thanks in advance!

Bryan

I personally would say no.

All the KTM's share the exact same components except for a few additions and slight changes to the EXC/MXC over the bare SX model.

I think the only adjustment would be to add a forum for the 950 Adventure. The RFS models are so similar, I wouldn't bother. When the 250 SXF comes along that might be worth it's own forum.

No reason to. It's not like there is a high volume of posts in this forum as it is (unless the honda guys come over here to cry). :naughty:

I personally would say no.

All the KTM's share the exact same components except for a few additions and slight changes to the EXC/MXC over the bare SX model.

The biggest beef I have with people and KTM's on a MX track, is they get on a CRF, then a KTM, or vice versa - and without a hesitation, exclaim, "Oh, the CRF is so much better! More power, lighter weight, and the KTM suspension is wayyy too soft. But I did like the e-start on the KTM"

THey have tested an EXC or MXC KTM, against the MX CRF. YOU NEED AN SX model KTM TO COMPARE PROPERLY!!!! No kidding it felt heavier, turned crappier, and had no power and junk suspention. IT DOES weight 20 lbs heavier, it does has a softer ignition, and it does have softer, woods suspension!! If you are going to beef on a KTM, beef on the correct model! Jeez!

I thought the statement you made a few days ago was a bit off base but I bit my tongue. Now I know you're :naughty: .

As for splitting the forum, I agree there really isn't enough traffic here to justify it.

I agree with the others. Even when the SXF comes along, I'm not sure it'd make sense since it sounds like all the KTM motors will end up like it at some point (or at least that's the scuttle butt I hear).

Another no vote. The RFS bikes are all close to each other same as the LC4 bikes.

If there is a split, maybe make it a 2 stroke v. RFS split.

Add the 950's!

it would have big advantages yes but is this forum to blocked up now??? no. if ktm built motorcyles in the same number as honda then maybe

I thought the statement you made a few days ago was a bit off base but I bit my tongue. Now I know you're :naughty: .

DethWshBkr is right on with comparing and exc to a mx bike. You wouldn't compare a CRFX to a YZ, nor a WR to a CRFR on a track.

He is also correct about "All the KTM's share the exact same components except for a few additions and slight changes to the EXC/MXC over the bare SX model." If the engine needed to be torn down the process is the same for a 250/400/450/525 exc/mxc and the 450/525 sx.

The little changes between the sx and the exc/mxc are actually about the same (more in my opinion) as the changes for the YZ to WR or the CRFR to the CRFX.

DethWshBkr is right on with comparing and exc to a mx bike. You wouldn't compare a CRFX to a YZ, nor a WR to a CRFR on a track.

He is also correct about "All the KTM's share the exact same components except for a few additions and slight changes to the EXC/MXC over the bare SX model." If the engine needed to be torn down the process is the same for a 250/400/450/525 exc/mxc and the 450/525 sx.

The little changes between the sx and the exc/mxc are actually about the same (more in my opinion) as the changes for the YZ to WR or the CRFR to the CRFX.

Ok then JoeT/DWB I guess if you put it that way I can see it. It just looked as if the first comment was saying the EXC/MXC were completely different (junk even?) compared to the SX and then a few days later DWB was saying there were only slight differences.

Junk?! HAHA. NO WAY! Those things are caddys on wheels!

THe EXC and MXC, when compared to a light MX/SX bike are junk, FOR THE PURPOSE OF MX/SX (well, ok, not junk, but not a good idea). More people own EXC/MXC's than SX's it seems, so everyone always rides an exc/mxc then gets on a CRF or YZF. They have added 20 lbs in an e-start and battery, softer suspention for woods (not good for MX), different forks in some cases, and on the EXC I believe, different, low gear ratios, with a 6 speed, and added two gears on the MXC. Couple that to a softer ignition curve, and they wonder why the bike doesn't work on an MX track compared to a CRF or YZF.

That's all. Ah well, sometimes I get all cornfusselled myself. I guess when you DO think about it, the EXC/MXC/SX differences ARE about the same as with a YZF/WRF and CRF/CRF-X.

Unless the guys that have SX's think that it is a good idea to split the forums, I sure don't see any need to. There seem to be more similarities than differences. :naughty:

I'm still new to this site but what i can see is that traffic is not too heavy and people here seem to have opinion on both SX and EXC with experience so...answer is no, everything is fine like this!