Sign in to follow this  

Stuck coutershaft nut

Decided to change the front sprocket on my bike and buggered if I can get the sprocket nut undone. The bike is in gear with a friend loading the rear brake to prevent the rear wheel from turning and I'm using an 18" breaker bar but it still won't budge. Crank up the compressor and borrow a friends rattle gun and still no joy. Admittedly my compressor's not that powerful and the rattle gun is of the cheap variety but short of taking it to the local bike shop to have it seen to are there any other suggestions that anyone can offer. Any one come across the same problem and how did you fix it?????????????? :naughty:

I used to race Supersport and the coutershaft sprocket was tightened to 150ft/lb's but even with this type of torque I never had this problem removing the nut

you need to heat the nut with an oxy to expand it and break the seal with the shaft. even try heating it and then cooling it rapidly may help.

I wouldn't use oxy torch at just about any cost... because you can very easily mess up the heat treating on the shaft.

If the tab is down... are you turning it in the correct direction? I am 99% sure it is left hand thread.

There is a chance you can screw up your tranny,

its been recommended not to do it in gear.

This is the first Ive heard of it being stuck on, did you crank it to 150lbs...?

The 1st time I removed the nut on my 00 it took the force of God to break it loose, I definatly remember that... I was glad God wasn't too busy at the time.

I wouldn't use oxy torch at just about any cost... because you can very easily mess up the heat treating on the shaft.

If the tab is down... are you turning it in the correct direction? I am 99% sure it is left hand thread.

I'm 101% sure it is not left hand thread... :naughty:

No need to use heat to remove that nut, and seeing as there is a seal and o-ring close behind that sprocket, I would not advise it, unless someone has used a sleeve & bearing retainer locking compound on it, or the like. Even with high strength Red brand locktite,, that nut will come right off.

Do not remove that CS nut with the trans in gear. Have a friend sit on the bike and step on the brake.. and use an impact gun..Most supermarket guns/compressors are worthless when it comes to high torque...Kind of like slip on exhaust cans,,, they make a lot of noise,, but not much power. :naughty:

Thanks for the advice.

My neighbour had a 2ft breaker bar and we slipped another piece of pipe over that, total length about 3ft. I passed a piece of rod through the holes in the rear sprocket and rested either end on the top sides of the swingarm (using the rear brake alone was not holding the rear wheel so we needed something drastic.

It still took me standing on the end of the bar to crack the nut and it let go with a bit of a bang but both the nut and the thread on the counteshaft are fine. :naughty:

Yes they are a R/H thread as the normal rotation of the countershaft has a tightening effect on the nut and yes the locking tab was clear of the nut.

Needless to say I've used minimal torque on the nut to install the new sprocket and pressed down the locking tabs on 2 sides to make sure it stays there.

BTW you have to grind quite a bit off the original case saver for it to clear a 15t sprocket.

Thankyou all for your advice but I think I need a bigger compressor and also need to buy a top qual rattle gun.

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice.

My neighbour had a 2ft breaker bar and we slipped another piece of pipe over that, total length about 3ft. I passed a piece of rod through the holes in the rear sprocket and rested either end on the top sides of the swingarm (using the rear brake alone was not holding the rear wheel so we needed something drastic.

It still took me standing on the end of the bar to crack the nut and it let go with a bit of a bang but both the nut and the thread on the counteshaft are fine. :naughty:

Yes they are a R/H thread as the normal rotation of the countershaft has a tightening effect on the nut and yes the locking tab was clear of the nut.

Needless to say I've used minimal torque on the nut to install the new sprocket and pressed down the locking tabs on 2 sides to make sure it stays there.

BTW you have to grind quite a bit off the original case saver for it to clear a 15t sprocket.

Thankyou all for your advice but I think I need a bigger compressor and also need to buy a top qual rattle gun.

Cheers!

:D Good on ya...

15/44 is a stock gearing.. Shound fit just fine...unless the AU bikes got a different case saver :naughty: then US bikes...

You did use lock tite in the splines and threads when reinstalling the CS sprocket and nut...Yes? If not it is highly recomended.

If the CS nut of northern hemisphere DRZ's get loose over usage, and southern hemisphere bikes get tight then I propose "A new theory for what causes the the countershaft nut to loosen (or tighten)", it's the Coriolis effect! Or maybe it's the magnetic field? :naughty:

Hey wasn't there a Simpsons episode where Bart phoned Australia to check which way the water swirls when you flush the toilet?

Same effect!

Never had nuts that tight though :naughty:

gomatt, your avatar, that's "The Argument", the Monty Python skit, right? I've only heard it, not seen it.

Yeh, I wasn't sure which skit it was from but I imeddiately recognised it as Monty Python so I made it my Avatar.

They brought out some classic stuff which no matter how many times you see it you still manage to laugh until you cry. :naughty::naughty: