Sign in to follow this  

New to SM - Need bike advice.

Fellas- I'm working with a kart track to get supermoto going in my area... so now I need to get bike for it. I would also like to be able to use the bike for TT, flattrack, road courses, ice and occasionally some off-roading. For the most part, I'm thinking the '05 450 SMR is what I want. However, it's that "occasional off-road" has me wondering if the SMC would be a smarter choice. I'm told the '05 (and prior) SMC's come with dirt wheels. This is definitely a plus considering my dirttrack plans... but it seems the lower SMR would dirttrack better and I could find wheels on e-bay or something. The "occassional off-road" is really for my brother (I ride MX on a CR250)... a beginner/novice that would like to play once in a while.

Essentially, what I want to know is:

-Can I put 21"/19" wheels on an SMR or would there be bottom out issues?

-How much better would the lower SMR handle super-moto and dirt track?

-Is the stiffer '05 frame a significant improvement over the '03-04's?

Other input would be most appreciated.

Fellas- I'm working with a kart track to get supermoto going in my area... so now I need to get bike for it. I would also like to be able to use the bike for TT, flattrack, road courses, ice and occasionally some off-roading. For the most part, I'm thinking the '05 450 SMR is what I want. However, it's that "occasional off-road" has me wondering if the SMC would be a smarter choice. I'm told the '05 (and prior) SMC's come with dirt wheels. This is definitely a plus considering my dirttrack plans... but it seems the lower SMR would dirttrack better and I could find wheels on e-bay or something. The "occassional off-road" is really for my brother (I ride MX on a CR250)... a beginner/novice that would like to play once in a while.

Essentially, what I want to know is:

-Can I put 21"/19" wheels on an SMR or would there be bottom out issues?

-How much better would the lower SMR handle super-moto and dirt track?

-Is the stiffer '05 frame a significant improvement over the '03-04's?

Other input would be most appreciated.

No RFS (Racing Four Strioke) SMC for 05'. The RFS SMC were only created for the American (and ?) market and are actually SX models (SX suspension, 4-spd., etc.) with added SM parts (Beringer front caliper, 17" wheels, Dunlop slicks, SM front fender) and include all the SX dirt parts (SX fr. caliper, 21"/19" wheels tires sprocket etc.). I suspect the KTM importer added the SM parts and renamed the SX to SMC (SX is still on the air box cover, so the RFS SMC is not a factory model, but an importer model).

The 05' SMR have a radial mount front brake caliper AFAIK, so I don't know what one would do for a dirt front caliper with 21" front wheel.

The 04' have the stiffer frame from what I understand. I belive, but could well be mistaken, that for 05' the SMR got it's own SM duty specific frame and/or steering geometry (?). Hopefully other members know more details.

The least expensive, and easiest way would be to find a left over 04' 450SMC. I'm guessing (but will find out soon) that having only a 4sp would be enough for a kart track (SMR has the 6sp).

MarkLC

I cant tell you about these specific models, but usually the supermoto´s have a stiffer suspension in addition to the lower one, which means that it doesnt bottom out so easy...

For flattrack, ice and motard I would without doubt go for the supermoto version. But for the forest and motocross course the motocross version. Offroading on a motarded bike will wear you out pretty soon.

I do these things too, I also go to the motocross track with my SM fitted with 17". I'd choose the motard version any day.

So its just up to you to decide what you will spend most of your time in. You can not for a single moment try to compete with the motard suspension if you've got the motocross/enduro suspension.

thanks fellas.

my dealer told me he can get SMC's. maybe they're 04's- i'll have to check.

i don't know what a "radial mount front caliper" is. should i look at my street bike?

Maybe your dealer means the 625SMC? (not a 'Racing Four Stroke', but an LC4 which is also street legal).

I was reading the Winter 05' issue of SuperMoto Magazine which stated that the 05' has the stiffer frame (know it has a stiffer swing arm that's cast aluminum), while I read elsewhere that the 05' frame was softer to suite the stiffer swing arm etc. I'm getting old. so me memory is probably failing :naughty:

The radial mount caliper is how the bolts for the caliper go into the fork leg. From the side are normal while from the rear of the fork are radial.

See pics of radial mount calipers here:

So I'm guessing that with the radial mount caliper setup, one would have to mount the same size brake disc (oversized) of the SMR onto a 21" front wheel to use the same caliper.

MarkCh