Sign in to follow this  

no clutch after drilling basket!!! HELP!!

Everything went smoothly, I added the 5 washers to the towers while I was drilling the basket.

Lever pull seemed only slightly easier than I've been used to. With bike running on a crate, shifted into gear with clutch lever pulled, and it went into gear, but the clutch does not appear to engage or disengage.

Rechecking the steps in the manual, I was reminded that I did not disconnect the "clutch cable on the engine side". I didn't (during disassemly) because I just didn't think it would matter. DID IT?

Now, with clutch cable disconnected at push lever shaft and pivoting the shaft with my hand and persuader (channel locks) against the tension of the spring, it appears to be working fine.

I could use some advice from an individual that has direct knowledge of what to do next. Otherwise, I will lay her over, open up the clutch, take everything back apart (bending that washer over is sure a pain), and and re-assemble.

Drilling the basket??? I drilled more holes in the "inner hub" to get better oiling - :naughty:

Drilling the basket??? I drilled more holes in the "inner hub" to get better oiling - :naughty:

Actually, it's called the "Clutch Boss" in my manual...and that's what I drilled. SO, can you help me out?

Did the ball bearing on the end of the actuating rod fall out?

Did the ball bearing on the end of the actuating rod fall out?

That is a good question, and a negative (the BB is still in there :naughty: )...had the bike on its side through the whole procedure.

I will take it apart again tomorrow after work since I don't see any other options at this time. :naughty:

Well...I went back through my clutch (twice) and everything looked as it should. I even started her up after the first of the two tear-downs (like I did before). Tension on the lever was still like it was after the mods were done...maybe just a little bit softer.

The third time into it, I decided to throw a little extra oil on the plates as I was putting them back in. Started the beast up and still no appreciable disengagement. The bike was on the stand though, so I thought I should roll it down the driveway and keep it pointed in the right direction in case there was no stopping her! :D

Ran her through first, shifted, through second, slowed, shifted to first. Pulled the lever in and coasted to a stop (well almost - had some slight crawling).

By the time I reached the garage floor, there was no crawling at idle with the clutch in. :naughty:

I think there never was a problem. The only problem was my lack of experience with the procedure. :naughty:

I was about to post "Take it off the stand and test it." A clutch will never fully disengage unless you're in neutral.