Sign in to follow this  

Pros and cons of the KLX300

Are any women out there riding the KLX 300? What do you like or dislike about it? Thanks

I had a 1998KLX300 for my very first bike when I started riding in 1999. It had the Mikuni Carb, Stroker header pipe and woods armor on it.

Pros:

Tractored everywhere

Easy to ride on singletrack tech, even for a new rider

Lots of low end grunt

Smooth comfy ride

Cons:

HEAVY, especially in the front end

Not very nimble on tight twisty trails (compared to the CR500 even)

PITA to start when it was dumped or hot.

I rode it for a year and decided I wanted something different. Tried out many many bikes that people I rode with had and fell in love with the CR500. The inability to just pop the frontend of the bike over obstacles was my biggest reason for getting rid of the KLX. I couldn't loft the frontend of that baby for the life of me. The 500 does it easily but the KLX, noway, no how!

It was a nice ride but I did get bored on it, but I get bored on things that are too easy to ride.

you know i am not a girl but i have had no problems starting mine after dumping it and it starts after one kick maybe I am lucky but. and also I have researched it and the KLX300 is lighter than a XR 400 so i dont know what you mean because i have rode a XR400 and its very much heavier than my KLX300 and mine is nimble. Maybe you just were not confortable with that bike and or maybe you just had other problems but i love mine.

I know some people like the KLX, it just didn't suit me.

I've heard you can get a hot-start button for the bike that helps but mine didn't have it and it was a real pain to start sometimes.

I know, I know, good thing I always have Karl around to fire mine up for me huh?! :naughty:

Ive ridden one briefly and my thoughts are as follows

• Felt noticably heavier than my XR
  • CV carb is poo and makes starting after a fall very difficult. A standard carb + manual decomp or hot start would make things a ton better.
  • Power wasnt bad, just built it pretty slowly. Again a better carb would help there.
  • Suspension wasnt bad, but it didnt seem to inspire a whole lot more self confidence unlike most modern bikes I try out.

Just sold my 2001 KLX300 2 weeks ago. I hated to let it go but now I couldn't be happier. I agree with the statement of hard starting. I just got so :naughty: *^%$%#@ frustrated at my buddie laughing at me on his electric start Yamaha. :D Yes, there is a special way to start the beast but even that don't work when your stuck in a rut on a hill. Hot.

I agree with the given statement by fellow TT member [*]CV carb is Pooh and makes starting after a fall very difficult. A standard carb + manual decomp or hot start would make things a ton better.

It rides nice and comfy to the toosh. There is alot of pros and cons to ramble forever. Look at this web site for info on the KLX300 www.klxzone.co.uk

The reason I bought the KLX is the CRF wasn't out yet and wanted a med. size bike to get back into riding. Since I am a large girl 5'9 200+ the KLX seemed right. The XR400 was alot more in money and didn't want that much hp.(ended up spending more in the long run) This was my first bike after the crash in 99.

The wreck left me with a sensitive back and work injury in 98 with a bumb knee. Before the crash, owned a 98 XR250 and had to sell it. :naughty: (very sad day)They are both alike in many ways. HARD TO START!!! But, the XR, your could throw it off a cliff and it keeps on ticking. :D My buddie Dan owns a XR400 and he can out maneuver the KLX, its just how good of a rider you are. He wanted to see the difference between the 2 and still likes his XR. I personal like the XR400 after riding again, but would NEVER give up my CRF250x it spanks the KLX in many ways. Electric start baby! :D

Pro: It is a 300. :naughty:

Con: It is not a KTM 300. :naughty:

sorry, couldn't help myself.