Sign in to follow this  

Deathwings - now I understand

Took the DRZ out for its first short ride today. 38 degrees and been raining/snowing for two days. Tires filled with mud almost immediately. Managed to slide around in the woods for most of a half hour without crashing (got a little lost). Felt like I was riding on brown ice. Managed to escape intact. A trip around the neighborhood to throw the mud off and back home. Those tires suck on wet painted lines too. Yowsa.

I think a set of IRC GP-1s or Kenda K270s (are they actually the same tire?) will be in my very near future. I'm looking for a 50/50 tire as I expect to do some commuting to work on the DRZ this summer.

couldn't you tell that they would suck a$$ in mud just by looking at them?

I just don't understand why anyone would think they would be any good off road :naughty: and to take them into muddy conditions is asking for trouble..

Spoon a set of terra flex's on, they rule in the dirt/mud and seem pretty good on the pavement.

Yeah, you're lucky you didn't dump it...Try some Pirelli MT21 tires front and back. DOT rated and good for what you describe. Some guys don't like 'em off-road but they work good in the hard, rocky terrain I ride. They'll give you some mileage on the black-top, too unlike some of the other DOT rated "off-road" tires. Good luck... :naughty:

Yeah, you're lucky you didn't dump it...Try some Pirelli MT21 tires front and back. DOT rated and good for what you describe. Some guys don't like 'em off-road but they work good in the hard, rocky terrain I ride. They'll give you some mileage on the black-top, too unlike some of the other DOT rated "off-road" tires. Good luck... :naughty:

Another vote for MT21s. Decent on the road, and good in rocky, dusty conditions like the CA desert.

J

You were lucky you didn't find out the hard way. I used to run the Kenda's. Didn't care for them much offroad either. Now I use IRC BattleRalley99. Got 1100 miles on them, probably 50/50 street/dirt, and they are still holding up well. They work well offroad too.