Smoking

i just got done riding my 2002 ttr-250 and its smoking like crazy, i noticed this morning there was a tapping/clicking noise by the head but just figured it was just the timing chain. i didnt notice any decrease in the performance after it started smoking. can any one help me figure it out

Sounds like engine problems. It might be time for a new top end.

my ttr 125 had a scratch in the cylinder and i had to get it fixed..dont know if thats what your prob is or not??? if it is id just get a big bore kit!!!!!

do you mean that motor is leaking oil or like smoking out of the exhaust???

It sounds as if you're engine is leaking oil from the bottom end into the cylinder. It is the same principle as premix on a two-smoke. unfortuneatly it doesn't work that way on a four-stroke.

Time for that big bore kit man, (a new top end would work too, but isn't as cool. hehe)

j.

just replace the piston rings and look for scratches on the part the piston slides on.

i just got done riding my 2002 ttr-250 and its smoking like crazy, i noticed this morning there was a tapping/clicking noise by the head but just figured it was just the timing chain. i didnt notice any decrease in the performance after it started smoking. can any one help me figure it out

If the tapping/clicking is coming from the head area and you are getting smoke I wouldn't ride until its been checked. You could be about to drop a valve which would definitely up the repair bill alot!

Oil may be leaking past one or more valve guides. The clicking could be anything from the cam chain to a valve.

In either case a look is called for before anything really bad happens IMHO.

YZguy86, how many miles does your engine have??? Have you kept up with the maintainance (ie. valve adjustments, oil changes, regular air and oil filter cleanings)???? I seriously think that your problems are due to poor maintainace because TT-Rs generally are bulletproof (knock on wood)!!! From the description you gave in your first post it sounds like a top end issue. Since you're gonna need to tear into the top end, I'd drop some performance cams in there to wake that little beast up!!!! By all means keep us posted because anytime something serious comes up like this on the 250 I get really concerned. Good luck bro!!

Check your air filter!! it might be soaked!!! in oil