taillight on all the time

I just changed bars and added risers following a wreck that tweaked the stock bars bad. I changed brake lever @ the same time(broke in crash). Everything worked fine, then the battery went down,would not charge so I ordered a battery and tender, just put them on and realized my taillight is now on all the time. I don't think it was like that after the wreck but would explain speedy demise of battery shortly there after. The taillight is quite bright like when brakes are on and on all the time even with key off and out of ignition, I did remount ignition with stock bracket horizontally under bars using stock top clamp bolt. I don't think that would matter but for completeness I also disabled the clutch/start wire and plugged them togeather like I read about on her when I added risers. Between the bent bars and dead battery I have been out of commission for a while know now so any help would be very much appreciated. BTW 04 DRZ S

Check the rear brake light switch first.

The rear brake light switch was the problem on mine, i had to readjust the lock-nut a few times.

My edit...it would not cause that light to be on with the ignition off though, something is wired up wrong :naughty:

There is a position on the key switch that leaves the tail light on. You are on that with the key, or shorting out in the wiring.

I noticed the same problem this morning when I was getting into my car (brake light on even with the key out, and the ignition on the "off" position). All I did was wash the bike last night before I put it back in the garage. Any ideas? It's probably a short in the ignition, but wanted to ask here 1st.

Almost 100% positive it is the ignition switch. It has a red wire coming in from the battery and wires coming out. one wire is an orange wire, supposedly powered only when the key is in the 'On' position. The other wire is a feed to the tail light. It is on when the switch is either in then 'On' position or in the 'Park' position. To confirm it is the ignition switch, unplug it (green plug). If you have a LED taillight and just washed the bike, water will sometimes migrate into the switch and 'short' it. Not enough of a short to light a conventional light but enough to pass the minuscule current needed to light a LED.

It's a stock taillight. I'll try disconnecting the green plug from the ignition if it stays on (I disconnected the battery this AM). Hopefully the switch will dry out and it won't happen again.

With a stock incandesant buld, watter cannot carry enough current to light it, so water is not the problem. Unplugging the switch will almost positively turn it off. If unplugging the switch and the light stays on, it will shorten the number of wires to check.

Front brake lever replaced ?

It is the correct one, with a tab to operate the front brake light switch ?

If not the light remains on.

Neil. :prof::bonk::confused:

i Had the the same problem this weekend

Found the front brake lever all full of mud

and the switch the lever hits

was not clicking right ,,in,,and ,,out

Well, the problem is gone and has not returned. I think it was just some water that got into the switch after I washed the bike, and shorted out the wire for the brake light (so the problem "dried-out"). Thanks guys.

Front brake lever replaced ?

It is the correct one, with a tab to operate the front brake light switch ?

If not the light remains on.

Neil. :thumbsup::p:moon:

I am having the same issue today after going out on it yesterday.

Basically, it WAS working fine (Got Zeta levers) but this morning I noticed that the brake light is on all the time. I haven't washed the bike, but it MAY be that the switch has got wet, as operating both the front and / or rear brakes don't make the problem go away! Apart from just waiting to see if it "dries out" (or cleaning it and giving it a squirt of WD40 to get rid of any moisture), adjusting the rear brake to see if it's fouling / engaging the switch, is there anything else I can do / look at?

TIA, chaps.:lol:

I shall also look for anything fouling the rear brake, as per this thread.. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231394&highlight=brake+light+problem

Well, the problem is gone and has not returned. I think it was just some water that got into the switch after I washed the bike, and shorted out the wire for the brake light (so the problem "dried-out"). Thanks guys.

Damn, I wish I could ride! Its just too darn cold and too much snow here in MI.

Whats the weather like where you are? Ohio couldn't be much different>>>:thumbsup:

Quick update - it seems that the rear brake is fine - I can hear the switch clicking on and off.......

But I have no sound from the front brake, so I'll be noseying at that today.

my brake light started coming on by itself once even with the key out. it was only after i washed it also. ended up disconecting the battery for the night and airblowing all the terminals and w/d40ing them to get it too stop. when it would happen i would turn the key on hit the levers a few times and it would stop. go to walk away after turning the key off and BAM there it was again.